The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revisiting a vote

Guest Laurie

A vote was incorrectly tallied during an election process earlier this month.  A simple majority was needed to pass the vote. However, the committee operated on a 2/3 to win policy. Several runoffs were held in order to pass the vote 2/3 favor. The committee became weary and members began abstaining to hurry the process.

Now the committee is calling a revote. The chairperson is saying that because a motion to revote was not made directly following the initial vote, then the topic is off the floor.

What is the process for calling a revote?

According to RONR (11th ed.), p. 250, ll. 30-31, p. 251, ll.1-2:  "Points of order regarding the conduct of a vote must be raised immediately following the announcement of the voting result (see pp. 408-409)."  It would therefore seem that a re-vote cannot be entertained.  However, could this procedural mistake be considered a "continuing breach"?  I'm not sure, but I'm dubious about it.

10 hours ago, Guest Laurie said:

A vote was incorrectly tallied during an election process earlier this month.  A simple majority was needed to pass the vote. However, the committee operated on a 2/3 to win policy. Several runoffs were held in order to pass the vote 2/3 favor. The committee became weary and members began abstaining to hurry the process.

Now the committee is calling a revote. The chairperson is saying that because a motion to revote was not made directly following the initial vote, then the topic is off the floor.

It would not be a motion to vote again, it would be a Point of Order that the result was incorrectly announced.  But it's correct that such a point must be raised at the time.  At this point the motion has failed, and can simply be moved again ("renewed") at a future meeting.  No need to get fancy.

14 hours ago, Guest Laurie said:

Based on the facts presented, I do not believe a motion for a revote is in order at this time.

It may be in order to rescind or amend what was previously adopted, but as Mr. Huynh notes, it will be necessary to know what you were voting on.

4 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

It would not be a motion to vote again, it would be a Point of Order that the result was incorrectly announced.  But it's correct that such a point must be raised at the time.  At this point the motion has failed, and can simply be moved again ("renewed") at a future meeting.  No need to get fancy.

As I understand the facts, the committee was choosing between multiple options, and members were erroneously informed that a 2/3 vote (rather than a majority) was required for selection - note the statement that “several runoffs were held.” It seems that the committee eventually selected one of the options. So renewal will not be the proper course of action. It may be in order to rescind or amend the adopted motion, depending on what they were voting on.

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

As I understand the facts, the committee was choosing between multiple options, and members were erroneously informed that a 2/3 vote (rather than a majority) was required for selection - note the statement that “several runoffs were held.” It seems that the committee eventually selected one of the options. So renewal will not be the proper course of action. It may be in order to rescind or amend the adopted motion, depending on what they were voting on.

Yes, right again, it appears to have finally passed in some form.   I think I'm having a bad day.  :(  Nobody should pay any attention to me until tomorrow.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.