The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Members that have taken a Leave of Absence

Guest Irish Chuck

Assuming RONR is in play it sounds like it was a Request to be Excused from Duty.  It would be up to the body to decide if the duty were that as an officer (i.e. still a member but not performing the duties of their office) or a member (i.e. temporarily withdrawing from membership).  A couple of things, the former would not reduce the number of members so a quorum based on total members or a majority of the membership vote would remain the same but the latter reduces the number of members by one.  Also, do your bylaws allow for temporary resignations from membership? 

Even If there is such an animal as "temporarily being excused from the duties of membership", I question whether that would affect the quorum requirement. As Weldon Merritt said, a person is either a member or not a member. 

I think for that to happen, the bylaws would have to specifically provide for it in some fashion.

1 hour ago, SaintCad said:

Assuming RONR is in play it sounds like it was a Request to be Excused from Duty.  It would be up to the body to decide if the duty were that as an officer (i.e. still a member but not performing the duties of their office) or a member (i.e. temporarily withdrawing from membership).  A couple of things, the former would not reduce the number of members so a quorum based on total members or a majority of the membership vote would remain the same but the latter reduces the number of members by one.

There is no ability in RONR to “temporarily” withdraw from membership. You’re either a member or you’re not. A member could request to temporarily be excused from some of the duties of membership, but even if such a request is granted, the person remains a member and still counts in determining the number required for a quorum. And to the OP’s question, such a person would retain all of the rights of membership.

50 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

Even If there is such an animal as "temporarily being excused from the duties of membership",

There certainly is such a thing.

”Occasionally the bylaws of a society may impose specific duties on members beyond the mere payment of dues. Members may be obligated to attend a certain number of meetings, to prepare talks or papers, to serve on committees, or even to accept office if elected. In these cases, a member cannot, as a matter of right, decline such a duty or demand that he or she be excused from it, but the assembly —except as the bylaws may provide otherwise—can grant the member's request to be so excused. The request can be granted by unanimous consent, or a motion to grant it, which is debatable and amendable, can be offered.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 289)

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.