The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Abiding by a passed motion

Guest Bigjim

Look in section 62 on removal from office and other remedies for dereliction of duty in office or misconduct. It begins on page 650 in the 11th Edition and it outlines the procedure to follow in the event that a presiding officer doesn't follow the assembly's rules.  

I don't have my book, but I would look under "Officers," which I think is part of "Officers and Minutes."  It may not say it directly, but there is a discussion of officers as executing motions passed.  I doubt there is an explicit statement that they must follow decisions and not act contrary to them because, well, what's the alternative?  That meetings decide nothing?  On that note, I'd also look under "Main Motions" and the introduction, where it discusses what a motion is and what it does.  A motion is, in brief, a proposal to take action.  It seems to follow that, when a motion is adopted, the action should be taken.

13 minutes ago, Guest Big jim said:

I have a "show me that in writing member".  Would sure like that in writing.  I appreciate your input.

Well, you better be careful. I suppose this member will think it's okay to throw rocks at the presiding officer if you fail to find anything in writing saying he can't.

3 minutes ago, Guest Big jim said:

I'm just surprised that there is not a "the president must abide by the wishes of the floor" when a motion is passed somewhere, under some heading of motions.  

Well, you might find what you're looking for, or something close, in the sections I mentioned.  However, it's a bit similar to looking in a science book for "water is wet."  ;-)  Unless you're talking about procedural motions, where it might be a little less obvious.

8 minutes ago, Guest Big jim said:

I'm just surprised that there is not a "the president must abide by the wishes of the floor" when a motion is passed somewhere, under some heading of motions.  

Aside from not saying you can't throw rocks (I thought it was bricks) at the presiding officer, it also neglects to say the Treasurer can't abscond with all of the society's funds and retire in Tahiti, but maybe in the 12th it will.  :)

Edited by George Mervosh

You might ask your difficult member to show you where it says officers and members DON'T have to abide by the rules and decisions of the organization . Does he think organizations adopt rules and motions just for the fun of it with no expectation that the members and officers will abide by those decisions? It is so fundamental that to claim otherwise is ludicrous.

RONR p. xlix says:

"The great lesson for democracies to learn is for the majority to give to the minority a full, free opportunity to present their side of the case, and then for the minority, having failed to win a majority to their views, gracefully to submit and to recognize the action as that of the entire organization, and cheerfully to assist in carrying it out, until they can secure its repeal."

8 hours ago, Guest Bigjim said:

Found it:  thx .

to authenticate, by his signature, when necessary, all the acts, orders, and proceedings of the assembly declaring its will and in all things obeying its commands.

I don't think it matters much, but what you have quoted is from a 100 year old edition of Robert's Rules. That same statement, in the current edition (RONR, 11th ed., p. 450, ll. 22-23) reads as follows:

"To authenticate by his or her signature, when necessary, all acts, orders, and proceedings of the assembly." 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.