The Official RONR Q & A Forums

wife of board member enters a complaint

Guest DaisyDoodles

The wife of one of my board members called for a private meeting with the board.  They share the same email and I know she reads emails that are sent for him only. Even though her husband is on the board, she is very good friends with the past President and I feel shares things from our current meetings.  The board member is asking for the minutes of this meeting with his wife and I am not sure how to handle this.

I can't say I fully understand, but there's this: even if the board meets in executive session (with a guest), board members have a right to the minutes, but must keep them confidential.  

If the question is whether to give the executive session, that's a decision of the board, not any individual.  It would adopt a motion to that effect at a meeting.

If you mean some other kind of private meeting, well, that's beyond the scope of RONR, and so far as the rules are concerned, if someone says "I want to meet with you privately," nothing parliamentary has taken place, and so RONR doesn't impose any duty of confidentiality.  But it does sound like this is to be an actual meeting, since it will have minutes.

1 hour ago, Guest DaisyDoodles said:

The wife of one of my board members called for a private meeting with the board.  They share the same email and I know she reads emails that are sent for him only. Even though her husband is on the board, she is very good friends with the past President and I feel shares things from our current meetings.  The board member is asking for the minutes of this meeting with his wife and I am not sure how to handle this.

It seems to me that this will not be an official meeting of the board, since not all board members are invited, so there will not be any minutes.

45 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

It seems to me that this will not be an official meeting of the board, since not all board members are invited, so there will not be any minutes.

18 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

I'm reading this as a past meeting where the board member was absent and now he wants to see the minutes. The minutes must be available to any member to inspect at a reasonable time and place.

It seems to me that we don't know enough to know what kind of "meeting" this was.  We are speculating.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:06 PM, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

I'm reading this as a past meeting where the board member was absent and now he wants to see the minutes. The minutes must be available to any member to inspect at a reasonable time and place.

Yes, if this was an official meeting of the board, to which the board member was invited but merely happened to be absent, he has a right to view the minutes. The minutes are merely a record of what was done, not what was said, so there should not be a concern.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.