The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correspondence to Pres. not submitted to BOT

Willowmrtn

We had a potential member write a letter of complaint about our executive secretary to the president and the secretary of our board. The letter was never shared with the rest of the board. 2 months later, I received an email from this potential member that included the original letter. Within the letter it was stated that when he asked the president for an update about his complaint, he was told that the board was still discussing the issue. The president never told the board. He blatantly lied to this person as well as did not share this correspondence with the board. I requested a special meeting to discuss this, but was ignored. The issue still has not been resolved - or even discussed for that matter. It has now been 7 months. What do I do?

13 hours ago, Willowmrtn said:

We had a potential member write a letter of complaint about our executive secretary to the president and the secretary of our board. The letter was never shared with the rest of the board. 2 months later, I received an email from this potential member that included the original letter. Within the letter it was stated that when he asked the president for an update about his complaint, he was told that the board was still discussing the issue. The president never told the board. He blatantly lied to this person as well as did not share this correspondence with the board. I requested a special meeting to discuss this, but was ignored. The issue still has not been resolved - or even discussed for that matter. It has now been 7 months. What do I do?

Well, you could bring it up at a regular meeting, if you can't get a special meeting.

13 hours ago, Willowmrtn said:

. . . It has now been 7 months. What do I do?

You can also try discussing it privately with the president.  Have you?  What does he say about it?  You can also call and email the rest of the board about it.  Unless this is a public body of some sort, you can have all of the private conversations with officers, members and board members that you want.  Even if it is a public body governed by open meetings laws, you probably have at least some latitude to contact other board members privately about it. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added first part of last sentence re open meetings laws

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.