The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Non Profit Board

Guest Dell

11 hours ago, Guest Dell said:

Can a husband and wife be members of the same board?  Wouldn’t this be a conflict, especially when it comes to voting?

It is conceivable that the board members will have a conflict on particular motions (as could other board members), but I do not follow why thIs would be a conflict of interest on everything that comes before the board.

In any event, no rule in RONR prohibits it. If you don’t think they should serve, don’t vote for them.

Edited by Josh Martin

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

It is conceivable that the board members will have a conflict on particular motions (as could other board members), but I do not follow why thIs would be a conflict of interest on everything that comes before the board.

Can you give an example?  I'm having trouble picturing it, for this reason: at most, the two board members will have a convergence of interests with each other, which is not an interest not in common with others, it's an interest in common with one other board member.  Not only does that happen all the time (all the members share an interest in the success of the organization, e.g.), but it's not a conflict.  Of course, they'd be conflicted if the organization considered buying their home at an above-market rate, but if only one were on the board, they'd have the same conflict.  

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Can you give an example?  I'm having trouble picturing it, for this reason: at most, the two board members will have a convergence of interests with each other, which is not an interest not in common with others, it's an interest in common with one other board member.  Not only does that happen all the time (all the members share an interest in the success of the organization, e.g.), but it's not a conflict.  Of course, they'd be conflicted if the organization considered buying their home at an above-market rate, but if only one were on the board, they'd have the same conflict.  

The example I was thinking of was if one of them owns a company which seeks to do business with the organization, in which event both of them will have an interest not in common with other members. Certainly, the same interest would exist if only one served on the board.

I agree that the fact that they are married and both serving on the board does not itself create any personal or pecuniary interests not in common with other members.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.