The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Tradition" of not following procedure

AngelaMaria

14 minutes ago, AngelaMaria said:

I am Assembly Secretary (my first term ever) at an educational organization (7 yrs old). Bylaws designate Sturgis 4th as our manual. Procedure is not followed, except in some cases. I've promoted a return to parliamentary law as per bylaws. I'm not taken seriously. What to do?

Well, this is a forum about RONR, not Sturgis, but regardless, the solution is to get a majority of the members to take you seriously. Until that happens, there’s not much you can do.

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

Well, this is a forum about RONR, not Sturgis, but regardless, the solution is to get a majority of the members to take you seriously. Until that happens, there’s not much you can do.

One way to do that is, if feasible, to offer a workshop on parliamentary procedure.  I found that focusing less on 'how,' and more on 'why,' tends to work.  A focus on "we can go home earlier and get more done" tends to open minds.

The most important person you have to convince is the presiding officer. 
I have found that you can more easily bring people on board by emphasizing that (at least for RONR) the rules themselves specify a somewhat relaxed attitude for most cases, especially for committees and small boards (where, for example, seconds are not required, and one can speak on a subject when no motion is pending).  And consider this:  RONR 11, page 456 "The president should never be technical or more strict than is necessary for the good of the meeting. Good judgment is essential; the assembly may be of such a nature, through its unfamiliarity with parliamentary usage and its peaceable disposition, that strict enforcement of the rules, instead of assisting, would greatly hinder business."

Even if RONR is not  your authority, I recommend it for becoming acquainted with the general principles of parliamentary law. And the little "RONR in Brief" which is a great resource for understanding the essentials. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.