The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Principle of interpretation

Jodi

Robert’s Rules comments: (11th edition paperback)

Pages 588-589 Principle of Interpretation #4: I’d like help to understand this principle. What does …”the same class” mean.  What is the definition or examples of “class”?  For example, if the duties of the Treasurer are outlined in the by-laws, does that mean there cannot be another policy or document that defines the duties of a treasurer and includes any extra requirements beyond what is defined in the by-laws?

32 minutes ago, Jodi said:

For example, if the duties of the Treasurer are outlined in the by-laws, does that mean there cannot be another policy or document that defines the duties of a treasurer and includes any extra requirements beyond what is defined in the by-laws?

See RONR 11th ed., p. 573, ll. 1-3.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:38 PM, Richard Brown said:

The bylaws could also include a provision along the lines of, ". . . and such other duties as may be prescribed from time to time by the Society"

On 2/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, Greg Goodwiller said:

Not disagreeing with my colleagues - but yes, I think you have the gist of it - which is why, as already noted, if duties are defined in the bylaws, an open clause about other duties as assigned, or the like, is very important.

In general, I don't think that such open-ended duty assignments are advisable. In most organizations, the officers do their duties on a voluntary basis, and it doesn't make sense to ask people to volunteer for positions in which they are required to do whatever unspecified additional tasks a majority at some future meeting decides they have to start doing.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.