Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Dan Frazee

Public Comment

Recommended Posts

Guest Dan Frazee

If public comment is allowed in the course of a meeting, is it customary for the Chair to discuss or refer the issue at that time, or is he not allowed to comment on input as it is not part of the accepted agenda ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since "public comment" time is not a time for the meeting members to do actual business, the association can set its own rules and customs for who can do what.  See page 96.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Since "public comment" time is not a time for the meeting members to do actual business, the association can set its own rules and customs for who can do what.  See page 96.

Organizations that have “public comment” are probably public bodies, however, so there may be applicable laws governing the subject.

2 hours ago, Guest Dan Frazee said:

If public comment is allowed in the course of a meeting, is it customary for the Chair to discuss or refer the issue at that time, or is he not allowed to comment on input as it is not part of the accepted agenda ?

This appears to have more to do with applicable law than with the rules in RONR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Who's Coming to Dinner
4 hours ago, Guest Dan Frazee said:

If public comment is allowed in the course of a meeting, is it customary for the Chair to discuss or refer the issue at that time, or is he not allowed to comment on input as it is not part of the accepted agenda ?

It is not customary or proper for the chair to discuss anything except in a small board meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

It is not customary or proper for the chair to discuss anything except in a small board meeting.

I think in this case, during a period of public comment, presumably by non-members, I believe the chair may well be the most appropriate one to respond. This is all the more so if it is a public body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×