The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Co-Anything (again...)

smcgovern

I am in the middle of putting together a presentation to the Board I sit on (youth sports organization) regarding the fallibility and pure danger of "co-anything," as our Board currently has this issue -- two of its board positions are being shared (and have been in the past).  Our By-Laws are silent as to shared positions (specifically it states, "The Board of Directors shall consist of seven (7) members; the four (4) elected officers (President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer), the Cheerleading Commissioner, the Football Commissioner, and one (1) member-at-large...").  The positions currently shared are Vice President and Cheer Commissioner.

I have done some extensive research into what is admittedly a new world for me and thankfully came across this forum in the process.  I have read many, many of the posts and subsequent comments and gained a wealth of information.  We have other By-Law amendments in the works and will be taking it to a special meeting next month.

That being said, outside of RONR pg. 176,  Mr. Stackpole's brilliant and well-written essay that I found linked on this forum, are there any other articles or directions someone may want to point me in to help me obtain a bit more information before I present this to the Board next week?  Much appreciated!

SMCGOVERN:

If in spite of our best advice, your group goes ahead and sets up co-somethings, please let us know how it all worked out.

Maybe we will be able to add (to my essay) some more reasons why it is a bad idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbcnnjcq5l9eaux/Problems With co-anything.docx?dl=0

7 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

If in spite of our best advice, your group goes ahead and sets up co-somethings, please let us know how it all worked out.

Maybe we will be able to add (to my essay) some more reasons why it is a bad idea.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbcnnjcq5l9eaux/Problems With co-anything.docx?dl=0

I will certainly follow-up with how it plays out.  Thankfully our President (who was also unaware of the dangers of co-positions) is very concerned about the issue and eager to hear what I come back with.  It's a good thing I enjoy researching and giving presentations, this may be a big one. :)

2 hours ago, smcgovern said:

I will certainly follow-up with how it plays out.  Thankfully our President (who was also unaware of the dangers of co-positions) is very concerned about the issue and eager to hear what I come back with.  It's a good thing I enjoy researching and giving presentations, this may be a big one. :)

It ought to be enough to point out that both RONR and your own bylaws prohibit shared positions.

(But it seldom is.) 

Sign for co-president's desk:   Half a buck stops here.

1 hour ago, J. J. said:

A single member holding two offices is not "co" situation.  A "co" situation is when a single position is held by two people.  

This is a situation of one person holding 2 positions, which is permissible, unless your bylaws say otherwise. 

I read smcgovern's post as saying that the two positions of Vice President and Cheer Commissioner were being shared by two members each (i.e., co-Vice Presidents and co-Cheer Commissioners). If so, that is prohibited unless the bylaws provide for it. But after re-reeading the post, I can see where it could be (and more liklely is) a case of one member holding two positions. If that indeed is what smcgovern is talking about, then I agree with J.J.

[Edited to correct J.J.'s initials.]

Edited by Weldon Merritt

1 hour ago, Weldon Merritt said:

I read smcgovern's post as saying that the two positions of Vice President and Cheer Commissioner were being shared by two members each (i.e., co-Vice Presidents and co-Cheer Commissioners). If so, that is prohibited unless the bylaws provide for it. But after re-reeading the post, I can see where it could be (and more liklely is) a case of one member holding two positions. If that indeed is what smcgovern is talking about, then I agree with H.J.

H.J.??  Perhaps you mean J.J.? 😉

15 hours ago, Weldon Merritt said:

I read smcgovern's post as saying that the two positions of Vice President and Cheer Commissioner were being shared by two members each (i.e., co-Vice Presidents and co-Cheer Commissioners). If so, that is prohibited unless the bylaws provide for it. But after re-reeading the post, I can see where it could be (and more liklely is) a case of one member holding two positions. If that indeed is what smcgovern is talking about, then I agree with J.J.

[Edited to correct J.J.'s initials.]

Yes, I apologize, I can see where that could have been interpreted either way.  I was referring to 2 members holding 1 position (we have 2 members standing as co-Vice Presidents and 2 other members standing as co-Cheer Commissioners)

19 hours ago, Gary Novosielski said:

It ought to be enough to point out that both RONR and your own bylaws prohibit shared positions.

(But it seldom is.) 

Sign for co-president's desk:   Half a buck stops here.

I do believe that sign would be the icing on my "No to Co-" cake that I will be serving our board next week.

8 hours ago, smcgovern said:

Yes, I apologize, I can see where that could have been interpreted either way.  I was referring to 2 members holding 1 position (we have 2 members standing as co-Vice Presidents and 2 other members standing as co-Cheer Commissioners)

Okay, yes, go to Dr. Stackpoll's article.  :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.