The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

snholland

Our bylaws state the a Nominating Committee shall present the slate for the position of Board of Directors:

1.   A Nominating Committee of four members of the Conference, who are not employees of the Conference, shall be selected as follows: two members shall be elected by the Conference in session and the Board of Directors shall name two members. This committee shall serve from the conclusion of the session in which it is selected until it makes its report to the next biennial convention.

2.   The nominations offered by the Nominating Committee shall comprise the slate of nominees for membership on the Board.

Does the current board of directors have the right to attempt to influence or suggest who the Nominating Committee include in their slate of nominees?

Also, can the current board of directors question the Nominating Committee as to reasons why they did not include a person in their slate of nominees?

The members of the board of directors are free to lobby the members of the nominating committee to nominate their preferred candidates just as are all members of the society. The nominating committee is free to accept or reject these suggestions.

I suppose the board of directors could pass a resolution urging the nominating committee to nominate certain persons, but the nominating committee is free to ignore that request. I also think that such a request would be highly unusual and inappropriate, but I don't know that it would violate any particular rule in RONR. Perhaps someone else is aware of such a rule.

It seems to me that it would be inappropriate for the board of directors, in a meeting, to openly question the nominating committee about its reasons for selecting certain nominees. However, I think it is perfectly permissible for the members of the board to privately question the members of the nominating committee. The members of the nominating committee are free to respond or not respond as they choose.

Stay tuned for other points of view.

6 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

It seems to me that it would be inappropriate for the board of directors, in a meeting, to openly question the nominating committee about its reasons for selecting certain nominees.

I do not think it would be inappropriate for the board to ask the Nominating Committee for its rationale for nominating a particular member, even during a meeting, although I concede that it would be unusual to do so.

Edited by Josh Martin

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

I do not think it would be inappropriate for the board to ask the Nominating Committee for its rationale for nominating a particular member, even during a meeting, although I concede that it would be unusual to do so.

Unusual is right. How does a board ask a question without itself first agreeing to ask it? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.