The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can Chair Meeting when Officer Absent?

Guest qltncat

My first response would be the Vice President would preside in the absence of the Parliamentarian (presiding officer).  However, at taking a second thought I think that since the Parliamentarian is not the usual presiding officer except in this specific circumstance that it would be reasonable to argue that the President as the usual presiding officer would be the next in line.  But, I think it could also be reasonable to argue that the Bylaws name the Parliamentarian as the presiding officer for a reason so the President and VP wouldn't be necessarily the proper people to chair the meeting and the assembly should elect a Chair Pro Tem to preside.

So in other words, I am not sure RONR really has a concrete answer to your question and it will be up to you all to determine who should preside.  Or maybe I am overthinking the situation :D .  Stay tuned for other thoughts.

Edited by Chris Harrison

1 hour ago, Guest qltncat said:

Our Bylaws state that the Parliamentarian must Chair a biannual bylaw revision meeting.  That officer is unable to attend the meeting.  Who can chair in her absence?

I think this is ultimately a question of bylaws interpretation, but it would seem to me that the assembly should elect a Chairman Pro Tempore. Since the society has specifically provided for someone other than the regular presiding officer to preside in this instance, I do not think that the President or Vice President would have the automatic right or duty to preside.

2 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

Will this election entail suspending the rules, since the bylaws say that the Parliamentarian must chair the meeting?

I don't think so since he's absent.  If he was present and the assembly wanted someone else to do the job, then yes.  I think they can just elect a chairman pro tem.  They could also consider setting an adjourned meeting if they knew when he was going to be available since it seems important to this group that the parliamentarian preside over this type of meeting.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.