The Official RONR Q & A Forums

If President & Vice President are going to be absent from meeting?

Guest Pat O'Donnell

24 minutes ago, Guest Pat O'Donnell said:

Who runs the meeting if the President & Vice President will be absent?

The Secretary (or any member, if the Secretary is also absent) calls the meeting to order and presides over an election for a Chairman Pro Tempore, who presides for the duration of the meeting.

5 hours ago, Guest Pat O'Donnell said:

Who runs the meeting if the President & Vice President will be absent?

5 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

The Secretary (or any member, if the Secretary is also absent) calls the meeting to order and presides over an election for a Chairman Pro Tempore, who presides for the duration of the meeting.

And if the Secretary is also absent, the new chair pro-tem then presides over an election for secretary pro-tem.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, DR Stockley said:

In my opinion it would fall on the organizations By-Laws to designate the order of succession regarding who will preside in the absence of both the president and vice-president from a meeting.  In my organization, the by-laws provide for it with a Sr Vice & Jr Vice.

Your bylaws don't have to specify that; RONR does it as the default.  Page 452

2 hours ago, DR Stockley said:

In my opinion it would fall on the organizations By-Laws to designate the order of succession regarding who will preside in the absence of both the president and vice-president from a meeting.  In my organization, the by-laws provide for it with a Sr Vice & Jr Vice.

The organization has no need to specify in its bylaws an order of chair succession beyond the President and the Vice President(s) (which is already specified in RONR) although it may certainly do so if it wishes. My assumption was that the organization in question has only one Vice President and the bylaws do not provide for any further order of succession, or else there would be no need for the OP to ask the question. In any event, the procedure listed above is the process to follow when all persons in the organization’s order of chair succession are absent.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that guest dbarry has posted as a new topic, can you answer this Weldon Merritt or anyone else? 

That would be most helpful as it is currently an issue in our COA.  Some homeowners would like to call a meeting to address some major concerns but they (by a representative) would like to lead it.  Is it possible for the president to appoint someone else to run the meeting?  Our bylaws don't allow for that specifically; they simply state that the president shall preside over all association meetings.  Yet, during elections at our annual meeting the president does temporarily appoint our management company rep. to run the election.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:41 AM, Guest sfnm said:

Now that guest dbarry has posted as a new topic, can you answer this Weldon Merritt or anyone else? 

I do not see where guest dbarry has posted his question as a new topic.  The custom and preferred practice in this forum is to post a new question by starting a new topic rather than piggy-backing on an existing thread which is really about a technically different issue.

However, since there seems to be great interest in this issue, RONR provides in Sections 43:29 and 47:11 that if the president desires to step down from the chair, and no vice presidents who are wiling to serve are present, the president, with the consent of the assembly, may nominate or appoint someone to preside.  If there is no objection, the person named by the president is  deemed appointed by unanimous consent.  If there is an objection, then the appointment must be approve by a majority vote.  Prior to the vote, other persons may be nominated.  If there are other nominations, it requires a majority vote to select the president pro-tem.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:00 PM, Guest sfnm said:

Would your answer apply to a 1 time situation?

Yes, but it would apply to the same situation every time it occurs unless the organization amends its bylaws or adopts a special rule of order authorizing the president to name someone to preside in his  place without the consent of the assembly.

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2018 at 1:25 PM, Josh Martin said:

I'm wondering if the member calling the meeting to order (in the absence of the Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary) could also end up being the one selected to be the chair pro tem.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.