The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Distribution of Materials

Guest PTO Mom

I am new to the PTO board.  We have a set of bylaws where the following scenario is not mentioned, so I was wondering if someone can help me in identifying where in Robert’s Rules this is addressed.  

A board member has distributed material that was not previously board approved.  There were 2 letters written as well as a fundraising opportunity that 1- Was already underway using different items for sale and 2- this individual was not a member of the committee that was in charge of the decision making for this fundraiser.  

What is the best course of action?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Curious Kitten

Thank you!

How about distribution of defamation?  For example, a list of complaints targeted at a specific individual, written by either a sole member of the board or by a portion of the board?  Some legit complaints, some personal.  Is there an action to take against the offender/offenders?  

On 3/17/2018 at 11:18 PM, Guest Curious Kitten said:

How about distribution of defamation?  For example, a list of complaints targeted at a specific individual, written by either a sole member of the board or by a portion of the board?  Some legit complaints, some personal.  Is there an action to take against the offender/offenders?  

See RONR, 11th ed., Section 63 if you wish to take more severe action than a motion to censure. Ultimately, actions up to and including expulsion from the society are in order, but there is a lengthy disciplinary process.

You should also check to see whether your bylaws have their own rules on discipline.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.