The Official RONR Q & A Forums

board vacancy

Leo

As an example, two sections of the article on the board of directors state

Section 1 The board shall consist of ten directors.

Section 2 Any vacancy may be filled by a majority vote of the board.

If there is a resignation leaving nine directors and creating a vacancy:

1 does the optional “may” in section 2, allow the vacancy to be filled or to stand at the pleasure of the board, or

2 does section 1, require the vacancy be filled as soon s possible?

It is ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws and to resolve the apparent conflict, but my personal interpretation is that the board is supposed to have 10 members and that the remaining members of  the board should fill any vacancies as soon as possible to maintain that level of membership.

Edited by Richard Brown

The provision granting the board authority to fill it's on own vacancies might well be intended to give the board that authority along with the power of the general membership, which presumably elects the board, to do so. The language of that section does not appear to give the board the exclusive authority to fill vacancies.

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical correction as indicated by strikeout

3 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

"May" is generally understood to be permissive but not imperative.

True, but "shall consist" is imperative, not permissive.

I would¹ interpret this to mean that the vacancy must be filled, and that the board has permission to fill it.  But if they fail to do so, it is still the responsibility of the membership to elect a replacement.

10 minutes ago, Gary Novosielski said:

True, but "shall consist" is imperative, not permissive.

I would¹ interpret this to mean that the vacancy must be filled, and that the board has permission to fill it.  But if they fail to do so, it is still the responsibility of the membership to elect a replacement.

I concur.  With all three statements/paragraphs.  And I guess I'm one of those who finds this board truly entertaining at times! :)

And equally frustrating at times! :ph34r: 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.