The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Stating the question on multiple report recommendations

Setemu

In a report of a committee's own initiative with multiple recommendations, does the chair, in stating the question, follow the same methods mentioned on pp.522-523? How does c) on p. 523 (allowing a motion to adopt all recommendations in the report) square with the advice on p. 515, lines 13-25, that making a motion "to 'adopt the committee's recommendation(s)'...can lead to confusion as to the precise effect of the motion"?

Edited by Setemu

Our assembly has a habit of reporting members of committees moving "to adopt all the recommendations in the report." The report is submitted in writing prior to the meeting. I have found, true to RONR's discussion on the matter, that this has led to some confusion at times. This is particularly true considering the recommendations themselves are not always explicitly stated in the report (although they are intended). I would like to know how to advise the chair, in accordance with the rules, on how to improve/modify this practice for greater clarity of the motion being considered. After reading the sections I referenced in my original post, I was confused as to how best advise.

Edited by Setemu

A formal way to get things clarified is to request (demand, insist, require, mandate) that the committee present its "recommendations" in the form of explicit motions, listed in the last paragraph of the report, say.

Then you, the assembly, can take them up one at a time, or in bunches (page 522ff.).

If there is a motion to "adopt all at once", a simple demand will be sufficient to pull specific ones out of the pile for separate consideration.

Okay. I think I understand: the idea on p. 515, lines 13-25 --that making a motion "to 'adopt the committee's recommendation(s)'...can lead to confusion as to the precise effect of the motion"-- only pertains to do with a situation in which a report contains recommendations that are not in the form of motions or resolutions. Thus, if the recommendations are in said form, it is in order for the reporting member to say, "On behalf of the committee I move to adopt all recommendations just read;" for the the chair to then state the question as "It has been moved and seconded [this is coming from a committee report, so no second is needed, must it be stated here?] to adopt all recommendations just read;" and for the series of recommendations to be considered and voted upon en masse, unless it is divided as appropriate.

Thanks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.