The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Use of the motion Call for Orders of the Day

J. Moore

I belong to an organization that uses RRO as its parliamentary authority; in its bylaws, there is an order of business for general membership meetings.  Lately, the board has been ignoring the order of business (over the protests of some members).  What is the correct way to ask, or move, to get the board (and chair) to follow the order of business as laid out in the bylaws?

3 minutes ago, J. Moore said:

I belong to an organization that uses RRO as its parliamentary authority; in its bylaws, there is an order of business for general membership meetings.  Lately, the board has been ignoring the order of business (over the protests of some members).  What is the correct way to ask, or move, to get the board (and chair) to follow the order of business as laid out in the bylaws?

Rise and say “Mr. President, I call for the orders of the day.”

See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 219-224 for more information.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

And be prepared to explain to your chairman what calling for the orders of the day means. Seems we have another case of a board trying to run a meeting of the general membership. Board members have no special rights at such meetings.

3 hours ago, J. Moore said:

in addition to calling for the orders of the day, a member could raise a point of order that the agenda is not being followed. I suspect that the chairman and members are more likely to understand that point of order than a call for the orders of the day

7 hours ago, J. Moore said:

The board has no control over the order of business (or anything else) at a general membership meeting.  The board is not in session except during its own meetings, and if it attends general membership meetings at all, it is only as individuals, who have no more rights than any other member.  

3 hours ago, Tom Coronite said:

These types of topics/issues always make me wonder how many organizations in actuality have two types of board meetings: one where only the board meets, and one where the general members are allowed to attend and address the board. They refer to the latter as a "membership meeting."

Well, I think that does indeed occur, but there are also organizations with actual membership meetings which the board mistakenly thinks they run.

Edited by Josh Martin

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

Perhaps the confusion stems from the fact that board members are generally considered officers, and that officers such as President and Secretary usually serve at both board and general membership meetings. It's great to have people taking responsibility for keeping things organized, but not so great when they assume they can override the will of the membership.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.