The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Procedural motion

Guest Susan Robinson

Guest Susan Robinson

A motion was passed during a December 2016 Board meeting that created a new procedure for approval and posting of meeting minutes. At the end of the meeting, the secretary would read the minutes. Minutes would be approved and would be posted on the organizations yahoo group within 72 hours. At our last membership meeting, I reminded the group that we needed to approve the minutes. The new secretary stated that we were no longer doing that. Does an approved motion bevoke part of the organization’s standing rules? What has to happen for the group to officially change the procedure?

The Board's adopted "new procedure": did it apply to the Board's meeting minutes or the general membership meeting minutes?

Best bet is to have the general membership adopt a standing rule (or special rule of order -- it is too early for me to make the distinction properly -- that clearly applies to the genmem meeting minutes.  That's enforceable in a general meeting.  And yes, minutes DO have to be approved by the body that the minutes pertain to.

8 minutes ago, Guest Susan Robinson said:

It applied to all minutes, Board meetings and Membership meetings.

It is highly unlikely that your bylaws give your board the power to impose rules of this kind upon your membership, but I suppose anything is possible.

In any event, if a rule of this nature is validly adopted, the adoption of a motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted is required in order to revoke or change it. See Section 35 in RONR, 11th ed., for details.

I'm just curious as to how this works. Are you (Guest Susan Robinson) saying at today's meeting, the minutes for today's meeting are read and approved right then and there? If so, how are the minutes complete if the meeting is still going on? Or are you approving them after the meeting, in which case it's outside the meeting? Either way seems problematic. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.