The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Wording of Meeting Agenda Items

Guest Dave

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

Why bother to discuss something without the possibility of taking action? At any rate, the agenda is not binding unless adopted, and if adopted, may be changed by means of a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. Now, if this is an item which requires previous notice and the notice was of only a "discussion," I would say a vote cannot be taken.

12 minutes ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

. . . Now, if this is an item which requires previous notice and the notice was of only a "discussion," I would say a vote cannot be taken.

Personally, I agree with you, but I believe we are in a minority and that others on this board, including the authorship team, take the position that if previous notice is given that something willl be "discussed" at a special meeting , that implies (or infers ... ) that action can actually be taken on the item.

Discussion without a motion on the floor is considered bad practice.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 34, ll. 7-9:  "Under parliamentary procedure, strictly speaking, discussion of any subject is permitted only with reference to a pending motion."  (A motion is a proposal that the assembly take a certain action.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.