The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes missing who made and seconded a motion

Guest NaniP

18 minutes ago, Guest NaniP said:

Minutes taken at a meeting are missing who made or seconded the motion.  This information is not retrievable.  Can the minutes be approved?  If so, how should the minutes be handled?

Yes, the minutes can still be approved.  Perhaps during the approval process members will know who made the motions.  Forget about recording seconds in the minutes unless the group has ordered that it be done.  RONR does not require the minutes to show who seconded a motion.

That should work, as JJ noted.

Why is the information irretrievable? Is it because the minutes are being approved several months after the meeting? Or maybe the secretary didn't hear who made the motion? RONR gives advice on how to handle such situations, to prevent future similar situations.

One would think the mover would know the answer to this question, and could provide it during approval (or, if absent, at a later meeting, via a motion to amend something previously adopted).

By the way, my colleagues on this board continually chide me for referring to adoption of the minutes.  Why, I wonder, is the motion to change them later, nonetheless, "amend something previously adopted"?

9 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

One would think the mover would know the answer to this question, and could provide it during approval (or, if absent, at a later meeting, via a motion to amend something previously adopted).

By the way, my colleagues on this board continually chide me for referring to adoption of the minutes.  Why, I wonder, is the motion to change them later, nonetheless, "amend something previously adopted"?

Some of the cognoscenti do refer to it as amending something previously approved, Mr. Katz.  :)

23 hours ago, Guest NaniP said:

Just to be clear, the minutes would simply state for example: "The motion was made to authorize $300 from the operational account for the purchase of software."  The minutes would then report the results of the vote.  Am I correct.

Yes, but don't be surprised if, when chair asks for corrections to the minutes, the person who made the motion suddenly remembers making it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.