The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Formatting Bylaw Amendments in the Minutes

Druhan

Hello,

I am the secretary for our Society, and there have been amendments made to the bylaws at the last couple of meetings. I am not sure how to format this in the minutes. I think I have learned how and been able to format motions in the minutes well, in general; but, specifically, I am not sure what the right form is when amendments to the bylaws are moved or when the adoption of a resolution amending the bylaws is moved.

Please, give me some guidance, and include examples in both the form of a motion and resolution. Thank you for your help and your time.

"Upon a motion by Secretary Durhan, the bylaws were amended in Article VI, Section 2 by striking out the words 'with all deliberate speed' and inserting 'when the stars are properly aligned.' "

A resolution might have a  "Whereas" or two (or more) but the minutes would read much the same, just including the Whereas(es)..

Edited by jstackpo

26 minutes ago, Druhan said:

Alright, thank you, jstackpo. That was helpful.

From your example, in my minutes would I put quotes around only “with...speed” and “when...aligned”? This is what I took you to mean.

P.s., you spelt my name wrong.

Yes, quotes.  

PPS:  The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

After the meeting, it is a very god idea to (re)publish the bylaws with all amendments to date included (and include the date, too).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.