The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Assumed rights of nonmembers appointed to a committee

Setemu

RONR states that nonmembers may be appointed to a committee, "even to the position of committee chairman" (pp., 492-493), but I cannot find any discussion regarding the rights of those members in committee. I understand that nonmembers do not have the right to speak or vote in assembly meetings, but it would seem difficult for a nonmember committee chair to break a vote in committee if he or she does not have the right to vote in committee, even if not in assembly. So, my question is this: if an assembly nonmember is appointed to a committee, to any or no particular position, does that assembly nonmember have the same rights, as a member of that committee, as assembly members who are also members on that committee?

7 minutes ago, Setemu said:

I understand that nonmembers do not have the right to speak or vote in assembly meetings,

Nonmembers of any particular body do not have the right to speak or vote in meetings of that body.  Members of any body (by definition) have such rights.  People who are members of a committee, but not of an assembly to which the committee reports, have the right to fully participate in meetings of the committee, but not in meetings of the assembly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.