The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Filling A Vacancy

Guest EMTKevin

Recently my department had a vacancy due to the resignation of our President. Our By-Laws state that the VP fills in until the next general meeting. However, I cannot find the answer to my question in either our By-Laws nor my current edition of Robert’s Rules. If one of the current board members gets nominated for the special election for President does that board member have to resign from their current position to accept the nomination or ONLY if said member is elected?

There's nothing in RONR saying the member would need to resign even if elected.  Any prohibition on holding more than one position would need to come from your rules.

Do your bylaws specifically say that the VP does not become the President?  If RONR is your parliamentary authority, and your bylaws do not so provide, the VP would become the President and you would not hold an election.

Actually, neither.   

RONR allows someone to hold two offices (has only one vote in meetings, however) (page 440) and certainly does NOT require the nominee to resign a currently held position to run for another.

It is common (and your rules may require it - check them, see p. 585) that, if he wins, he would tender his resignation from the "old" office.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.