The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominator question

Guest Fijicpa

How do you interpret this statement:
"No member may nominate or second more than
one (1) individual for the position of Director."
I'm reading a member can either nominate or second a nomination but can't do both. A member can only be on one nomination form. Am I getting it wrong?

39 minutes ago, Guest Fijicpa said:

I'm reading a member can either nominate or second a nomination but can't do both. A member can only be on one nomination form. Am I getting it wrong?

Based on what you have told us, my interpretation is the same as yours. However, as Mr Huynh pointed out, it is up to your organization to interpret its own rules. We cannot do that for you. There is no such rule in RONR.

7 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Based on what you have told us, my interpretation is the same as yours.

7 hours ago, Greg Goodwiller said:

If I were a member of your organization, I would interpret the rule as you do.

I would probably have interpreted it the other way (a member can make one nomination and second another).  Which is why it's up to the organization to decide.  :D

Well, since nominations do not require seconds in the first place (p. 432), the question seems moot.  RONR (same page) rules one nomination per nominator but then allows a second (or more) nomination after all others have made their nomination.

Whence came the OP's original citation?   If it from his bylaws, they should be amended for clarity, probably by striking the rule out.  Never pays to try to write your own rules when RONR covers the situation

53 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

Well, since nominations do not require seconds in the first place (p. 432), the question seems moot.  RONR (same page) rules one nomination per nominator but then allows a second (or more) nomination after all others have made their nomination.

Whence came the OP's original citation?   If it from his bylaws, they should be amended for clarity, probably by striking the rule out.  Never pays to try to write your own rules when RONR covers the situation

10 hours ago, Guest Fijicpa said:

It appears to me from the original post that this organization uses a nominating form which requires one or more seconds. 

Edited to add: many organizations require that nominations require seconds. I was at a convention of such a statewide organization this weekend. Nothing wrong with adopting a rule requiring it. That's the purpose of special rules of order, isn't it? 

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.