The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to start a special meeting

Guest Trying-to-get-it-right

Guest Trying-to-get-it-right

1) If the requirements to meet and convene a special meeting have been met and 

2) the stated purpose is to consider a proposal to do something 

Has a motion tacitly been made because it was stated in the notice of the call for a special meeting or must someone make a motion to get the process started?

Just now, Guest Trying-to-get-it-right said:

1) If the requirements to meet and convene a special meeting have been met and 

2) the stated purpose is to consider a proposal to do something 

Has a motion tacitly been made because it was stated in the notice of the call for a special meeting or must someone make a motion to get the process started?

Someone needs to make the motion, yes.

3 minutes ago, Guest Trying-to-get-it-right said:

Can you suggest how the chair can solicit the proper motion or can he make it himself?

He should not make it himself.  He can solicit it, but better yet, in advance of the meeting ask someone who is going to be there, and who favors it to make it.  Nothing wrong with a little pre-planning here.

59 minutes ago, Tom Coronite said:

You might be referring to a publication other than RONR.

No. It's RONR but upon further investigation, it is not the 11th edition. I apologize.

Edited to add that mine is the "seventh edition, but second complete revision... ." 

But unless there are fundamental differences between these, there are pages (somewhere) in the 11th detailing the pre-meeting responsibilities of Special Meeting sponsors. Correct? 

Edited by Marica
clarification

4 hours ago, Marica said:

No. It's RONR but upon further investigation, it is not the 11th edition. I apologize.

Edited to add that mine is the "seventh edition, but second complete revision... ." 

But unless there are fundamental differences between these, there are pages (somewhere) in the 11th detailing the pre-meeting responsibilities of Special Meeting sponsors. Correct? 

Based on the reference to “sponsors,” I suspect you may in fact be referring to a mass meeting. This is a meeting of persons who do not constitute a society, or persons who intend to form a society but have not yet done so. In that event, the information you are looking for may be found in RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 544-547.

The original poster appears to be asking about special meetings of an organized society, which are discussed in RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 91-93. I don’t know where that content is found in the 7th edition, but it’s probably time to update anyway.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.