The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Hansome

rigged.

This Hello. 

Last night I heard about a plan to fix our elections, next month. Chuck (a very popular member) is running for Prez. Mike, (unpopular) is running unopposed for vice prez. The theory is that when Chuck wins, he will resign within a month, and take a position at the state level, rather than stay as Prez at the local level. This will automatically move the vice prez into the prez position.  I feel that this is an attempt to fix the election, in effect making the memberships votes worthless. I feel that I must voice my concerns at the next general meeting. How should I procede? I'm lost. Mike

51 minutes ago, Hansome said:

How should I procede?

Very carefully. :)

I would not advise repeating any of what you just said during the meeting. Such comments are, in my view, highly indecorous (even if true). What I would do instead is the following:

• Raise a Request for Information asking all of the candidates for office whether they are willing and able to serve their full term if elected. (Do not contradict their answers.)
  • Nominate another popular candidate for President and/or Vice President and speak in support of those persons.

On 4/16/2018 at 7:33 PM, Hansome said:

This Hello. 

Last night I heard about a plan to fix our elections, next month. Chuck (a very popular member) is running for Prez. Mike, (unpopular) is running unopposed for vice prez. The theory is that when Chuck wins, he will resign within a month, and take a position at the state level, rather than stay as Prez at the local level. This will automatically move the vice prez into the prez position.  I feel that this is an attempt to fix the election, in effect making the memberships votes worthless. I feel that I must voice my concerns at the next general meeting. How should I procede? I'm lost. Mike

I fail to see how this could be characterized as "fixing" the election.  It might be that you don't like the outcome, but there's nothing about this that violates any rule that I can see.

If you don't feel the candidates will act properly, nominate and support someone who will.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

On 4/16/2018 at 6:33 PM, Hansome said:

This Hello. 

I agree with the previous answers and would add that nothing prevents you from campaigning hard for or against a candidate or a position or a motion outside of a meeting.  It's called old fashioned politicking.  But, as others have pointed out, while in a meeting certain rules of decorum must be adhered to and those rules prohibit making disparaging comments about members.

Agreeing with the others I'd also be careful in how you phrase your suspicions even outside of the meeting.   You said that the candidate for President is a very popular person and it sounds like you are suggesting that Chuck and Mike are conspiring to arrange things so an unpopular person can slip into the Presidency without the Membership's direct approval.  Just keep in mind that you can possibly get into trouble for what you say wherever you are (see RONR p. 649 onward).  Being popular usually means that you have friends who will take great umbrage to any suggestion you are doing something untoward especially if it can't be proved.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.