The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Consider as a whole revised by laws

Guest Terry

Not at the same meeting, if that's what you're asking. If a revision of the bylaws containing numerous separate amendments is considered and rejected, the only way the same amendments can be brought up separately would be to start the amendment process over again at a subsequent meeting, following whatever procedure your bylaws prescribe for their amendment.

3 hours ago, Guest Terry said:

When revised bylaws are being reviewed and considered as a whole and does not pass by 2/3rd vote can the assembly then vote on every single amendment separately?

I am somewhat puzzled as to what exactly occurred.

• Was a revision of the bylaws proposed and (for some reason) considered as a whole? If so, how can it even be determined what individual amendments were proposed? A revision is a completely new set of bylaws, not a list of individual amendments.
  • Was a series of individual amendments proposed and (for some reason) voted on in gross?

If it was the former, I concur with Mr. Lages. Instead, a member could move to reconsider the vote on the revision, and then move to amend the parts of the revision that the assembly finds disagreeable.

In the latter case, I believe it would be in order to vote on the amendments individually, however, in the future the chairman should ask if any member wishes for particular amendment(s) to be considered separately, in order to avoid this situation.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.