The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election of BOD

Guest Gary

I was elected to a 3 yr. term as a member of the BOD of a small 501C3 organization. After the elections it was decided to change the election date to a date 5 months from when I was just elected. My question since I was elected to a three year term do I continue to serve that 3 yrs or do I have to be re-elected after serving only 5 months

1 hour ago, TerryH said:

Are you saying the bylaws were amended to change the annual meeting for election of directors? What do your bylaws say?

bylaws read "The Board of Directors shall consist of six (6) members (plus President)  They shall serve three (3) years with alternating terms. The Board shall be elected by a 2/3  vote of the members present. A member of the board cannot old any other elected office while serving on the board"

A previous section reads" Officers will be elected by ballot in the month of October......." That was amended to read the month of May

If this is a corporation, there may be some legal question about moving the meeting so soon after the last one, even if they are in different years.  That aside, though, you are being told all BOD members will face re-election...by whom?  What does that person say about the statement in the bylaws you quoted?

Edited to add:  Of course, any such legal questions are beyond the scope of this forum, and should be asked to an attorney.

Edited by Joshua Katz

2 hours ago, Gary said:

that's what I believe, however I'm being told that all BOD members will face re-election

I don't see any support for that, based on the information you'e provided and RONR (as Mr. Katz has said, there may be laws that apply and override). It would be helpful to have the full text of the motion that was adopted to amend the bylaws in order to see if there were any provisos or to glean the intent.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.