The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Do Elections Require Notice

Guest new member

I am a member of a parent organization of our local school that holds elections in April for the upcoming year. This year we had people nominated for office who do not have children in the school or the program we support. Our bylaws are poorly written and do not address this issue although "tradition" has been that in order to be an active member you must have a child in the program.....something we took for granted, unfortunately.

Anyway, the election was incomplete and it was decided that we would seek a decision from the school administration as to who is eligible to run for office. We need to now have another election.....do we have to notify all members or can we just hold an election at our next standing meeting. Does Robert's Rules address the issue of "prior notice" of elections?

Thanks - Love the new forum!!!!

Our bylaws are poorly written and do not address this issue although "tradition" has been

that in order to be an active member you must have a child in the program

Tradition is insufficient. Such a rule would need to be in the Bylaws.

We need to now have another election.....do we have to notify all members or can we just hold an election at our next standing meeting. Does Robert's Rules address the issue of "prior notice" of elections?

Prior notice is not required for incomplete elections. The election can be completed at the next regular meeting. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 429, line - pg. 430, line 3; pg. 430, lines 11-13)

it was decided that we would seek a decision from the school administration as to who is eligible to run for office.

Oh, that is easy!

According to Robert's Rules of Order anyone can run for office, and anyone can be elected, and anyone can serve in office.

You don't have to be a member of the organization to be elected.

RONR has zero qualifications for office.

E.g.:

• Convicted felon? No problem!

• In a coma in a hospital intensive care unit? No problem!

• Complete stranger? No problem!

• Under-age minor? No problem!

• Married to president and to the secretary and to half of the officers? No problem!

There is no qualifications for office under Robert's Rules of Order.

But I'll bet there are in this association and in 90% of organizations.So think horses, not zebras.

The original poster said:

Our bylaws are poorly written and do not address this issue although "tradition" has been that in order to be an active member you must have a child in the program.....something we took for granted, unfortunately.

So we are either looking at a zebra or a horse in striped pajamas.

So we are either looking at a zebra or a horse in striped pajamas.

I like the image!

But the poster said their rules were murky as to who could be a member, not who could be an officer. I still suspect there's a rule about who can be an officer but, if all that's required is that you be a member, and if it's not clear who's a member, I guess there are enough pajamas to go around.

What do you mean by "...the election was incomplete..."?

Though the poster used the word "incomplete" in his post, I'm not at all convinced that the election was "incomplete" in the sense discussed in RONR (10th ed.), pp. 429, 430. My own interpretation is that the election was, if anything, abandoned, in which case, I would think what is said on p. 87, ll. 1-10, would apply, and notice of the election would be required for validity.

But I'll bet there are [qualifications for office] in this association and in 90% of organizations.

What other organizations have is irrelevant.

Don't drag unrelated organizations into it.

The original poster asked a question about Robert's Rules of Order

He or she deserves an answer about what The Book says.

So think horses, not zebras.

• The horse is, "What does Robert's Rules say about qualifications for office?"

• The zebra is, "Let's assume this organization's bylaws are a 100% match for 90% of the bylaws of other unrelated associations.

I don't like your zebras.

They wear pajamas, and look like an Alcatraz prison convict.

I am a member of a parent organization of our local school that holds elections in April for the upcoming year. This year we had people nominated for office who do not have children in the school or the program we support. Our bylaws are poorly written and do not address this issue although "tradition" has been that in order to be an active member you must have a child in the program.....something we took for granted, unfortunately.

Anyway, the election was incomplete and it was decided that we would seek a decision from the school administration as to who is eligible to run for office. We need to now have another election.....do we have to notify all members or can we just hold an election at our next standing meeting. Does Robert's Rules address the issue of "prior notice" of elections?

Thanks - Love the new forum!!!!

What do your bylaws actually say about elections?

Archived