The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Hint: Viewing Replies by Thread in Outline Mode

For those who are interested, it is possible for members to change a setting to view replies to a topic by thread in an outline form similar to what was available in the old forum. To change the appropriate setting, click the arrow beside your name in the upper right corner of the web-page. Then, click "My Settings". When the control panel appears, click the "Forums" tab. Change the "Topic Display Mode" to "Outline" and save your change.

Thereafter, when you click on a forum topic, the replies will be laid out by threads in an outline form much like that used in the old forum. This view makes it easier to see how the replies flow from one another logically. Try it; I think you'll like it. smile.gif

For those who are interested, it is possible for members to change a setting to view replies to a topic by thread in an outline form similar to what was available in the old forum. To change the appropriate setting, click the arrow beside your name in the upper right corner of the web-page. Then, click "My Settings". When the control panel appears, click the "Forums" tab. Change the "Topic Display Mode" to "Outline" and save your change.

Thereafter, when you click on a forum topic, the replies will be laid out by threads in an outline form much like that used in the old forum. This view makes it easier to see how the replies flow from one another logically. Try it; I think you'll like it. smile.gif

Mr. Elsman: I followed your instructions for implementing the process to view replies to a topic by thread in outline form, but even after saving the change to do that, the next time I sign in to the board, my changes did not "hold" and the viewing is not in the "Outline" mode. Can you tell me what more I need to do to make the changes "hold"?

Mr. Elsman: I followed your instructions for implementing the process to view replies to a topic by thread in outline form, but even after saving the change to do that, the next time I sign in to the board, my changes did not "hold" and the viewing is not in the "Outline" mode. Can you tell me what more I need to do to make the changes "hold"?

There's nothing else you need to do.

Once you've selected (and saved) the "outline" option, click on any topic. You'll see the original post and, below, that, a diagram showing the branched threads. That's the only place you'll notice the difference. The list of forums and list of topics are displayed as usual.

I confirm your observation, sir. I believe your computer system is set to destroy its cookies automatically when you close your internet browser. You can change your browser settings not to do this. Otherwise, as you note, you will have to re-set the property each time you log on.

I confirm your observation, sir. I believe your computer system is set to destroy its cookies automatically when you close your internet browser. You can change your browser settings not to do this. Otherwise, as you note, you will have to re-set the property each time you log on.

Mr. Elsman: Your diagnosis was correct. I made the change to my browser settings and the outline view now "holds" when I close and restart my browser. Thanks for your help.

Tom.

Archived