The Official RONR Q & A Forums

non-member right to speak at meeting

Guest Ron

Board meetings of our non-profit are open to general membership (and the public for that matter). If a non-member wishes to speak, at what point are they allowed? Is it up to the chair? Must there be a designated "public comment" time, and if so, does it need to be at a certain time in the meeting? Can a non-board members speak during debate of a motion (does the chair have a right to recognize a non-board member during a motion)?

Board meetings of our non-profit are open to general membership (and the public for that matter). If a non-member wishes to speak, at what point are they allowed? Is it up to the chair? Must there be a designated "public comment" time, and if so, does it need to be at a certain time in the meeting? Can a non-board members speak during debate of a motion (does the chair have a right to recognize a non-board member during a motion)?

Non-members are not entitled to speak. The board may invite a non-member to give a presentation or make a report, though. The rules must be suspended by a two-thirds vote to permit a non-member to make a speech in debate.

Under RONR non-Board-members have no rights at a Board meeting.

If the situation arises frequently the Board might consider adopting Special Rules of Order governing non-member participation, to cover the concerns you list. Such rules require previous notice to all Board members and a 2/3 vote, or approval by a majority of the entire membership of the Board.

If the situation arises frequently the Board might consider adopting Special Rules of Order governing non-member participation, to cover the concerns you list. Such rules require previous notice to all Board members and a 2/3 vote, or approval by a majority of the entire membership of the Board.

I'm not sure the board can adopt its own rules of order.

Nor am I sure that you've accurately described the voting requirements.

I'm not sure the board can adopt its own rules of order.

Nor am I sure that you've accurately described the voting requirements.

Well, I think a subordinate board may adopt its own rules to the extent that they do not conflict with any adopted by its parent, and if so, the vote required for adoption would be exactly what was described, would it not? :angry: (my favorite, according to George).

We may be getting into deeper woods than I intended. I suspect our board would be more than happy to allow non-members to speak (it's a small non-profit). My bigger issue is whether there is a proper time to allow non-member comments - a specific time on an agenda, or, if recognized by the board chair, could they speak during debate of a motion?

My bigger issue is whether there is a proper time to allow non-member comments - a specific time on an agenda, or, if recognized by the board chair, could they speak during debate of a motion?

According to Robert's Rules of Order, the only time when the above is proper is when the rules are suspended properly.

That's The Book.

Anything else is outside The Book.

Your board may customize its rules and allow the above in a unique way. That is their risk, by jumping outside The Book.

Archived