The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Effects of metions

Guest John

I have three questions.

1. What is the effect of a motion between the motion passing, such as a city resolution and the end of a meeting when a motion to reconsider can be herd.

2. What is the effect of the original motion after the motion to reconsider passes

3. If there is an intervening event, like lets say it’s a 12 hr meeting and after the first hr the motion passes, then they sign the contract with lets say a contractor, can they still have a motion to reconsider?

I would appreciate if you could cite where u find these answers in the rule, because I am having a hard time finding them.

1. What is the effect of a motion between the motion passing, such as a city resolution and the end of a meeting when a motion to reconsider can be herd.

Motions take effect immediately upon adoption. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 46, lines 25-27)

2. What is the effect of the original motion after the motion to reconsider passes

All action which depends on the motion is suspended until the reconsideration of the motion is completed, which will then determine whether the motion shall be adopted. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 310, lines 28-32)

3. If there is an intervening event, like lets say it’s a 12 hr meeting and after the first hr the motion passes, then they sign the contract with lets say a contractor, can they still have a motion to reconsider?

No. The motion to reconsider cannot be applied to an affirmative vote in the nature of a contract when the other party has been informed. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 307, lines 25-27)

Archived