The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest Sharline

Our club will hold election of four officers and seven members-at-large. We will be called on (in alphabetical order) to speak about ourselves and then vote by ballot - they will call for nominations from the floor before each position. (Nominations were posted on our website for at least 3 weeks).

Am I correct in stating that "there should be no questions/answers, comments, or outburst to those nominated, as they speak, from anyone attending the meeting? This happened at one election meeting where an appointed board member questioned a candidate and when he proceded to answer, the spouse of the questioneer spoke up and then heated comments were thrown back and forth. I raised my hand and said that she was out of order. The president gave her the floor - bad move, then had to stop the ugly confrontation.

Please answer soon - our meeting is tomorrow night.

Nominations have already been accepted and posted; we will take nominatons from the floor - this isn't the problem. We have a printed ballot - the candidates will speak briefly and then the membership will vote. We want to say that there will be no questions or comments directed to any candidate; reason: because of time frame and because some people want to speak against some candidates to make them look bad. We're there to hold an election and vote. There was ample time, if anyone had questions about any nominee, to ask that person. I just want to be sure that we can state before the meeting "no questions or comments" from the membership during the election/vote.

Our club will hold election of four officers and seven members-at-large. We will be called on (in alphabetical order) to speak about ourselves and then vote by ballot - they will call for nominations from the floor before each position. (Nominations were posted on our website for at least 3 weeks).

Am I correct in stating that "there should be no questions/answers, comments, or outburst to those nominated, as they speak, from anyone attending the meeting? This happened at one election meeting where an appointed board member questioned a candidate and when he proceded to answer, the spouse of the questioneer spoke up and then heated comments were thrown back and forth. I raised my hand and said that she was out of order. The president gave her the floor - bad move, then had to stop the ugly confrontation.

Please answer soon - our meeting is tomorrow night.

I just want to be sure that we can state before the meeting "no questions or comments" from the membership during the election/vote.

The Membership would have to agree to any rules regarding how nominations are debated and that would occur at the meeting itself (it is highly doubtful that anyone can make such a unilateral statement prior to the meeting). But as I said above there shouldn't be any violations of decorum in debate (and the Chair should call the speaker to order if it does happen).

I just want to be sure that we can state before the meeting "no questions or comments" from the membership during the election/vote.

You can't. The membership would have to decide to place such a limitation during the meeting, and it would require a 2/3 vote. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 185, lines 13-16)

Archived