The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removing a Member from an organization

VAVRS

Can you just vote to removed a member from your organization without going through a formal trail? Can you remove a member from an office without going through a formal trail? Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised states that you can make a motion to rescind the motion to elect that person and handle it like any other motion to rescind. Does this mean that he or she is removed from that office without a trial?

I am the appointed Parliamentarian for the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads, Inc. and would appreciate any information you can provide to my questions. Thanks, J. C.

Actually just the opposite is the case. As parliamentarian, you should be VERY familiar with p297-8, RONR, 10th ed.

Quote:

The motions to Rescind and to Amend Something Previously Adopted are not in order under the following circumstances:

c) When ... a person has been elected to or expelled from membership or office, and the person was present or has been officially notified of the action. (The only way to reverse an expulsion is to follow whatever procedure is prescribed by the bylaws for admission or reinstatement. For the case of an election, see pp. 642-43 regarding removal of a person from office.)

Unquote.

-Bob

Can you just vote to removed a member from your organization without going through a formal trail? Can you remove a member from an office without going through a formal trail? Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised states that you can make a motion to rescind the motion to elect that person and handle it like any other motion to rescind. Does this mean that he or she is removed from that office without a trial?

I am the appointed Parliamentarian for the Virginia Association of Volunteer Rescue Squads, Inc. and would appreciate any information you can provide to my questions. Thanks, J. C.

As for expulsion of a member from membership see RONR, 10th ed., Chapter 20. A trial is required (unless the offense occurs during a meeting).

As for removal from office see FAQ #20.

Yes, depending on how terms of office are defined in your bylaws, it may be possible to remove someone without going through a formal trial. However, it is not 'like any other motion to rescind', since rescinding an election can only be done under limited conditions ('misconduct or neglect of duty in office' -- take a careful look at pp. 642-643, as cited by Mr. Fish).

Archived