The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting procedure

Guest ALan D

What did you vote on then? It might be valid.

it was a vote weater or not to have smoking in the building the BOG voted to bring it to the floor. they picked a date and ballots got passed out andthere was a vote without the floor making a motion to have one

Our organization had a controversial vote that happened without a motion or a second or any discussion is that a legal vote or did it never happen because there wasn’t a motion?

If there was no motion, then how would anyone know what they were voting on? If there was no motion, how would the minutes reflect the decision/action taken by the vote?

If there was no motion, then how would anyone know what they were voting on? If there was no motion, how would the minutes reflect the decision/action taken by the vote?

With any luck, the Chair did properly put the question, at which time he should have stated the question as it was to be voted upon, so the members knew what was at stake.

Unless David Foulkes disagrees, I'd say it's valid if the result was declared by the chair.

This challenge, coming from you, I'd be foolish to do so. <_<

However, I'm still a bit perplexed. "Debate, rightly understood, is an essential element in the making of rational decisions of consequence by intelligent people......every member of the assembly has the right to speak to every debatable motion before is is finally acted upon;..." (p. 373 ll. 10-26)

So how is the process as describe by Alan D not in some manner a violation of the members rights, in denying them the right to speak in debate?

Who said someone wanted to speak and/or wasn't allowed to?

Um.... the poster???

Our organization had a controversial vote that happened without a motion or a second or any discussion is that a legal vote or did it never happen because there wasn’t a motion?

And the right to debate isn't too fundamental, given it takes a mere 2/3 vote or unanimous consent to end it abrubtly.

I'd say a right that requires between 66.667% and 100% of the members approval to deny rates a little more than a not "too fundamental". But that's just me. :)

Still, how does business come before the assembly without a motion then? Can the Board, as a rule, proceed this way? (citations appreciated, I haven't found any.... yet)

Who said someone wanted to speak and/or wasn't allowed to?

Um.... the poster???

No he didn't. He just said there wasn't debate, and if everyone voted without a point of order coming forward, it's a done deal.

No he didn't. He just said there wasn't debate, and if everyone voted without a point of order coming forward, it's a done deal.

No argument there.

And, yes, I did interpret his original post to mean the Chair jumped right to step #5, thus in effect not allowing debate. A POO should have been raised, but wasn't.

This is again another instance of a Chair not handling things properly........ as I understand they should be, at least. Oh well.

it was a vote weater or not to have smoking in the building the BOG voted to bring it to the floor. they picked a date and ballots got passed out andthere was a vote without the floor making a motion to have one

it seems odd the a vote can exist without first having a motion to have one

While what happened was improper, it would not cause a continuing breach. A Point of Order would have had to be raised at the time. The result stands. If the motion was adopted, it may be rescinded or amended. If it was defeated, the motion may be renewed.

Archived