The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy--Proxy

robert conway

I know RONR does not deal with proxy voting and I agree with the reasoning. It is a very tough way to do business in small spread out associations that allow this.

However, if done correctly, (what ever would be considered correctly?),perhaps RONR would rehash this issue.

Good issue for next RONR revison?

My observasions over last years post deal with absentee voting---Mail votes or Proxy votes. And worst of all e-mail voting when not allowed!

My view is RONR is is losing ground to the populace because THE CAUSE RONR is not being sounded like...NRA "National Rifle Association"... some one should start pounding drums of awareness of RONR.

Every association I am involved with TODAY (3) have little knowledge of Parliamentary rules, nor do they care when approached on the subject..

True and sad.

marly

Good issue for next RONR revison?

I wouldn't bet on it. I suspect RONR is going to stick with the principle of "Don't do it. If you do it anyway, you're on your own." for proxy voting.

My view is RONR is is losing ground to the populace because THE CAUSE RONR is not being sounded like...NRA "National Rifle Association"... some one should start pounding drums of awareness of RONR.

There are associations dedicated to that mission (the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians), yet it is a difficult battle.

Every association I am involved with TODAY (3) have little knowledge of Parliamentary rules, nor do they care when approached on the subject..

You need to find the right approach. Most people view parliamentary procedure as an arcane set of rules which merely complicate things. You need to help them understand that the primary purpose of parliamentary procedure is to facilitate meetings to run more smoothly. Also note that the assembly may adopt its own rules to supersede RONR - it's a guide, not a straitjacket. Helping the assembly think about the rules of RONR and its own rules in a thoughtful manner helps to avoid parliamentary battles (and possibly even legal battles) down the road. A good start is to get a few copies of RONR In Brief. The full text can be quite intimidating to those unfamiliar with parliamentary procedure, but RONR In Brief is a good way to help people dip their toe in the water.

If people knew that parli pro is much easier than they think it is, that it will make their meetings shorter, that it may help avoid bickering and lawsuits, and that they may tweak the rules to suit their own needs, I think they would be much more receptive to the message.

I wouldn't bet on it. I suspect RONR is going to stick with the principle of "Don't do it. If you do it anyway, you're on your own." for proxy voting.

There are associations dedicated to that mission (the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians), yet it is a difficult battle.

You need to find the right approach. Most people view parliamentary procedure as an arcane set of rules which merely complicate things. You need to help them understand that the primary purpose of parliamentary procedure is to facilitate meetings to run more smoothly. Also note that the assembly may adopt its own rules to supersede RONR - it's a guide, not a straitjacket. Helping the assembly think about the rules of RONR and its own rules in a thoughtful manner helps to avoid parliamentary battles (and possibly even legal battles) down the road. A good start is to get a few copies of RONR In Brief. The full text can be quite intimidating to those unfamiliar with parliamentary procedure, but RONR In Brief is a good way to help people dip their toe in the water.

If people knew that parli pro is much easier than they think it is, that it will make their meetings shorter, that it may help avoid bickering and lawsuits, and that they may tweak the rules to suit their own needs, I think they would be much more receptive to the message.

Josh, silence is golden from RONR group, carry on, it is a big battle.

Parliamentary education should start back in our primary school systems. (good luck here, they have their hands full).

I am presently dealing with. Adults that are bored to death with the mention of RONR..

Thanks for the post it is right on.

marly

Archived