The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to elect by acclamation

Guest Doug

We have an uncontested slate of officers.

As Chair of the Nominations Committee I would

Open the floor for other nominations

Hearing none

Entertain motion to close

Call for second

All in favor say aye, all opoosed

Close the floor

Is another motion needed to accept a candidate by acclamation or can I simply do that?

I have seen others start a new motion to accept the candidate by acclamation and then go through another round of asking for a second and then a voice vote.

We have an uncontested slate of officers.

As Chair of the Nominations Committee I would

Open the floor for other nominations

Hearing none

Entertain motion to close

Call for second

All in favor say aye, all opoosed

Close the floor

Is another motion needed to accept a candidate by acclamation or can I simply do that?

I have seen others start a new motion to accept the candidate by acclamation and then go through another round of asking for a second and then a voice vote.

As chair of the Nominations Committee you should be doing none of these things.

I am the person responsible for running the election at the business meeting.

That's the problem.

You aren't.

The CHAIR is responsible for running the election, by rule.

If a committee chairman runs an election, then you aren't following Robert's Rules of Order.

You've jumped outside The Book, and you are Doing Your Own Thing.

As an aside, who should be doing this if not the chair?

The chair OF THE ORGANIZATION.

Not the chair OF ANY COMMITTEE.

That is "the" difference.

Q. Where is the president? Where is the regular chair?

Unfortunately I am stuck running this versus the President as she is up for election again.

That fact does not prevent her from presiding during the election.

Is a motion needed to accept by acclamation or can I just declare each officer a victor?

It can be done by unanimous consent (i.e. without objection). The way to make an objection is to make another nomination.

But make sure your bylaws don't require a ballot vote.

Unfortunately I am stuck running this versus the President as she is up for election again.

Again, you've jumped outside The Book.

Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR 10th ed.) says that when the president, i.e., the regular chair, is a candidate or nominee, that fact does not preclude the regular chair from doing his job, i.e., running the election, for all the offices' elections.

The chair does not step down when his office is pending for election.

Thanks Everyone . We do have a ballot vote but only when we have a contested position. We open/close the floor for each candidate one at a time as the bylaws allow losers if there are any to be nominated for the next lowest position. Therefore we can't kill all the birds with one proverbial stone. So is it proper to request a motion to accept by aclamation and then get a second or can I just declare victory by myself? Thanks again.

Thanks Everyone . We do have a ballot vote but only when we have a contested position. We open/close the floor for each candidate one at a time as the bylaws allow losers if there are any to be nominated for the next lowest position. Therefore we can't kill all the birds with one proverbial stone. So is it proper to request a motion to accept by aclamation and then get a second or can I just declare victory by myself? Thanks again.

You can ask it another ten times, but the answer is you can't do anything, because you are not the chair, and you have given no indication that your bylaws require you to run the election, which I would be willing to make a (small) wager they do not. Therefore, doing so would be improper. The only appropriate officer to preside over the election is your presiding officer.

The fact that the current president is nominated has nothing to do with it. After you give your report, she should open the floor to additional nominations, and if there are none, should declare the nominee elected by acclamation, for each office being considered.

You, or properly the chairman, can declare the uncontested elections as won by acclamation.

And while we're at it, it isn't necessary to ask for a motion to close nominations, either. The chair should simply declare nominations closed when it is clear no more nominations are forthcoming.

• 3 years later...

It is possible to make a motion to close nominations and if that motion were to carry by 2/3 vote when there was only one nominee then the nominee could be elected by acclamation. However, the motion to close nominations is only in order after sufficient time has passed for others to make nominations and cannot be made by someone rising to make a nomination.

• 2 years later...

The bylaws of my organization says, "Election Committee: The election Committee shall conduct all nominations, elections and referenda of this Local in accordance with the Constitution, By-laws and federal law."  Further on it reads, "RULES GOVERNING CONDUCT OF LOCAL ELECTIONS... The Chair or Co-Chair of the Election Committee, or, in the absence of both the temporary chair as appointed and approved in accordance with the Local By-laws, shall conduct all elections or votes, regardless of nature, by secret ballot and shall be responsible for providing ballots in agreement with rules as set forth herein."

In this instance, would you agree that the Chair of the Election Committee would be the proper person to hold nominations of candidates for election?  If so, in this instance, would a motion be needed to open and close the nominations of each office that was to be decided?  Further, if an office that was up for election only received one nominee, would it be improper for the recording secretary to cast one vote of acclimation in favor of the lone nominee to complete the election for said office?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.