The Official RONR Q & A Forums

11 Edition

Actually, I believe Mr. Mountcastle's answer to the question ("Does anyone know....") is correct. Who that "anyone" might be seems to have been answered.;)

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Mr. Honemann's reply.

It's quite possible, even likely, that no one knows if a red lined "addition" will be available.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount Mr. Honemann's reply.

It's quite possible, even likely, that no one knows if a red lined "addition" will be available.

Nonetheless...

I'm reminded of a Benny Hill skit. Benny, as irascible game show host, Little Jackie Wright as the beleaguered contestant (against a younger, handsomer opponent) receiving all the tough questions.

Benny: 1,517 people died in the sinking of the Titanic. Can you name them all?

Jackie: No, and that's a correct answer.

(laughter and applause, Benny makes face :blink:, Jackie gets 5 points)

Does anyone know if a red lined addition will be available showing the changes that were made?

It's never been done with any of the previous editions to the best of my knowledge, so I wouldn't bet on it. I think it is more likely that the 11th edition will follow the example of the 10th edition, including a preface which summarizes the major areas of revision and clarification.

If the 11th Edition has been issued by that time, it will be the "current edition" although your organization must interpret the meaning of your bylaws.

Also, if desired, the convention could suspend the rules to decide which edition would prevail. E.g., if the 11th edition comes out on June 1 and your convention was in early June, you might decide that keeping the 10th edition this year would be best.

-Bob

p.s. Does anyone know of the publication date for "The 11th?"

Our bylaws reference the current edition of RONR as our parliamentary authority, but when we have our National Convention in mid-Summer, what will be the current edition?

The 10th edition, most likely.

p.s. Does anyone know of the publication date for "The 11th?"

Last I heard, the 11th edition is scheduled to be unveiled at the NAP Convention in September.

• 3 months later...

Dan or anyone else that knows,

Will there be an electronic version of the 11th Edition available at the same time as the print edition?

I really hope that there will be and that the price this time will be more reasonable than the 10th Edition. I think paying 2x as much as the paperback version is a fair price, not greater than 5x the paperback.

Thanks.

John

Dan or anyone else that knows,

Will there be an electronic version of the 11th Edition available at the same time as the print edition?

I really hope that there will be and that the price this time will be more reasonable than the 10th Edition. I think paying 2x as much as the paperback version is a fair price, not greater than 5x the paperback.

Thanks.

John

I am reasonably sure that there will be an electronic version available either at the same time or shortly after the print edition becomes available. I've no idea what it will cost (and have nothing to do with that), but of course the electronic version contains a great deal more than just RONR.

• 2 weeks later...

800 pages? KG's gonna love that! I hope they've expanded upon the woefully inadequate and brief section on Amend.tongue.gif

I, for one, would welcome your additional remarks about why you think the section on Amend is "...woefully inadequate and brief...". That is quite something to say, given that the procedure for amending a motion lies at the very heart of the deliberative process. Would you care to elaborate just a little bit for us?

I, for one, would welcome your additional remarks about why you think the section on Amend is "...woefully inadequate and brief...". That is quite something to say, given that the procedure for amending a motion lies at the very heart of the deliberative process. Would you care to elaborate just a little bit for us?

I think I detected a grace-note of sarcasm in the description.

Given that Mr. Foulkes included the "tongue sticking out" smiley at the conclusion of the sentence, I suspect his comment that the longest section in the book was "woefully inadequate and brief" was not intended to be taken seriously.

• 4 months later...

A chain bookstore here in Canuckistan had copies, but mine is unfortunately not entirely complete: the first sections on incidental motions, including the very important page 254 (or its 11th edition equivalent), were left out in favor of duplicates of the later sections, such as the comparably unexciting page 282.

Archived