The Official RONR Q & A Forums

recinding a vote that has been cast

Guest Terry

Although he could ask that the assembly order the secretary to place a note in the minutes saying he now wishes he had abstained instead of voting 'No.' If the assembly is willing to put up with stuff like that, it is their choice.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne.

-Bob

Ahhh..... so you can change your vote, but you can't "withdraw" your vote (ie abstain). An aye for a no, a no for an aye.

Oh, I think that a vote can be changed from a vote to an abstention (or from an abstention to a vote), but once the result of the vote has been announced by the chair, unanimous consent of the assembly to make the change must be sought immediately following such announcement.

Oh, I think that a vote can be changed from a vote to an abstention (or from an abstention to a vote), but once the result of the vote has been announced by the chair, unanimous consent of the assembly to make the change must be sought immediately following such announcement.

So, the key here is in the words "After that" as both citations include. It's not merely at any point in time after the results are announced, but immediately after, and therefore before any other business (the next motion, next order of business, etc) has commenced?

I agree with the parenthentic part so does it logically fit that the first part must be true as well?

Yes.

It really couldn't be any other way, or there would never be finality on any vote. It would be absurd to disallow Reconsider at the end of the session, yet allow members to keep changing their votes individually (presumably back and forth) say, six months or more (years?) afterward.

Virtually all other actions (apart from p.244 breaches) have a much-needed and short-term finality to them, and this would constitute a major and troublesome loophole.

Archived