The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Powerful Board and Rescission

J. J.

The Board of Directors shall have full power and authority over the affairs of the society except A, B, and C. [see p. 560, l. 1-4)]

"A, B, and C" being specific classes of business.

The board adopts a motion, M-1, relating to D, that clearly does not fall under A, B, or C. All members agree that M-1, clearly, is not something that would fall under A, B, or C. That is not an issue.

The members don't like M-1, and want to rescind it at the next regular meeting. Can they, or is D one of those "matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board (p. 466, l. 9-10)," and not subject to rescission?

That is how I would interpret it, but I'm looking for a possible counter argument.

I am trying to find one but am not being successful and would be interested to hear what it might be. It seems to me that if the Board has exclusive control over the matter that it would be strictly "hands off" for the Membership.

Without knowing the organization, typical items under A, B, and C would be amending the bylaws, electing officers, and - perhaps - purchase and sale of real property. If M-1 related to, e.g. rules for use of the clubhouse or dues (assuming that did NOT require amending the bylaws), then the aggrieved members might be best advised to address the problem by FAQ#20 or by electing directors who would work to rescind the action when elected.

-Bob

Without knowing the organization, typical items under A, B, and C would be amending the bylaws, electing officers, and - perhaps - purchase and sale of real property. If M-1 related to, e.g. rules for use of the clubhouse or dues (assuming that did NOT require amending the bylaws), then the aggrieved members might be best advised to address the problem by FAQ#20 or by electing directors who would work to rescind the action when elected.

-Bob

Bob, no offense, but that wasn't the (very limited) question I was asking. :)

I would generally say no. It is the responsibility of the Board to use make these decisions on behalf of the membership as it has the authority to do so. The membership also has the right to remove directors and/or officers according to Chapter XX or the organization's By-laws.

I would add the cavaet that the By-laws of an organization, barring limitations set out in any statute, should allow the membership the specific right to hold a special meeting to rescind, or approve for that matter, any decision made by the Board.

The Board of Directors shall have full power and authority over the affairs of the society except A, B, and C. [see p. 560, l. 1-4)]

"A, B, and C" being specific classes of business.

The board adopts a motion, M-1, relating to D, that clearly does not fall under A, B, or C. All members agree that M-1, clearly, is not something that would fall under A, B, or C. That is not an issue.

The members don't like M-1, and want to rescind it at the next regular meeting. Can they, or is D one of those "matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board (p. 466, l. 9-10)," and not subject to rescission?

Yes, the members may rescind this action taken by the Board (assuming no other relevant and material facts). The exceptions (A, B, and C) specify those classes of business over which the membership reserves exclusive authority, and by listing these matters as to which the board may not take action the membership does not intend to divest itself of its own authority over everything else.

This is why, after referring to the two examples of bylaw provisions found on pages 560 and 568, RONR immediately goes on to say that: "In any event, no action of the board can conflict with any action taken by the assembly of the society; and except in matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out, and can countermand any action of the board if it is not too late (as it would be, for example, when a contract has already been made)." (RONR, 10th ed., p. 466, ll. 7-14; emphasis supplied).

Mr. Honemann, are you saying then that the sample wording on page 560 still does not place exclusive authority in the board to act on matters D-Z? Is it that the wording of "full power and authority" does not also mean "exclusive"? Must the word "exclusive" be included in the bylaws to impart that authority? Or does the wording on page 466 truly say that, in any event (no matter what the bylaws say), the membership always retains the authority to override the board's decisions?

I had taken the wording on page 559 (bottom) to suggest that the wording on page 560 was in fact how it should be phrased in the bylaws to give the board "exclusive" authority over the membership with noted exceptions. But your post above leads me to think that's not quite right.

Mr. Honemann, are you saying then that the sample wording on page 560 still does not place exclusive authority in the board to act on matters D-Z? Is it that the wording of "full power and authority" does not also mean "exclusive"? Must the word "exclusive" be included in the bylaws to impart that authority? Or does the wording on page 466 truly say that, in any event (no matter what the bylaws say), the membership always retains the authority to override the board's decisions?

I had taken the wording on page 559 (bottom) to suggest that the wording on page 560 was in fact how it should be phrased in the bylaws to give the board "exclusive" authority over the membership with noted exceptions. But your post above leads me to think that's not quite right.

I meant exactly what I said, and no, the book does not say that, no matter what the bylaws say, the membership always retains the authority to override the board's decisions.

Read very carefully the paragraph that begins on page 465, line 26, and ends on page 466, line 17. Two situations are discussed, and examples of each referred to, and what is said on page 466, lines 7-14, very clearly refers to both.

Yes, the members may rescind this action taken by the Board (assuming no other relevant and material facts). The exceptions (A, B, and C) specify those classes of business over which the membership reserves exclusive authority, and by listing these matters as to which the board may not take action the membership does not intend to divest itself of its own authority over everything else.

This is why, after referring to the two examples of bylaw provisions found on pages 560 and 568, RONR immediately goes on to say that: "In any event, no action of the board can conflict with any action taken by the assembly of the society; and except in matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the society's assembly can give the board instructions which it must carry out, and can countermand any action of the board if it is not too late (as it would be, for example, when a contract has already been made)." (RONR, 10th ed., p. 466, ll. 7-14; emphasis supplied).

I find this very enlightening.

Having full power and authority does not, in my view, necessarily imply exclusive authority.

Even if the bylaws did not exclude A, B, and C, the "full power and authority" phrase, which is common in many bylaws, means that the powers of the board are not limited in any way, but at all times the "power and authority" of any board is presumably exercised on behalf of, and subject to the will of the (membership of the) Society.

If the intent of the membership is to grant exclusive and irreversible authority to the board, unreachable by any decision of the full assembly, they're going to have to be a lot more explicit than that in the bylaws. Using the actual word "exclusive" would be a good start.

Of course there are timing issues with the question too. If the board's action is completed before a meeting of the assembly occurs, there's nothing to rescind. The only thing that can happen at that point is that heads can roll.

Having full power and authority does not, in my view, necessarily imply exclusive authority.

Even if the bylaws did not exclude A, B, and C, the "full power and authority" phrase, which is common in many bylaws, means that the powers of the board are not limited in any way, but at all times the "power and authority" of any board is presumably exercised on behalf of, and subject to the will of the (membership of the) Society.

If the intent of the membership is to grant exclusive and irreversible authority to the board, unreachable by any decision of the full assembly, they're going to have to be a lot more explicit than that in the bylaws. Using the actual word "exclusive" would be a good start.

I think this answer is the clearest.

• 8 months later...

Always even if the bylaws clearly give the board sole and exclusive authority over something?

I think if you read all of post #10 again (including post #9 to which it was responding), you will see that I said that "the book does not say that, no matter what the bylaws say, the membership always retains the authority to override the board's decisions.

You will find my response to J.J.'s question in post #8, and you really need to start with it. :)

Always even if the bylaws clearly give the board sole and exclusive authority over something?

That's not what Mr. Honemann said: -- perhaps your eye slid over the word 'not' in the quoted post:

I meant exactly what I said, and no, the book does not say that, no matter what the bylaws say, the membership always retains the authority to override the board's decisions.

Archived