The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Default Voting Method

Guest Anthony

Is there a default voting method for votes of the general membership? There is a vote that needs to take place, and our bylaws are silent on the voting method for votes that are not elections. It was suggested that a role-call vote be taken, but some members feel a ballot vote is more appropriate since its a controversial topic. How is the method chosen? Is the method voted upon before the actual vote?

Thanks!

If the motion requires a majority vote, the ordinary method of voting is a voice vote (viva voce). In small bodies, a show of hands is often used, instead.

If the motion requires a two-thirds vote, the ordinary method of voting is a rising vote. In small bodies, a show of hands can be used, instead, if no one objects.

I agree with Mr. Elsman, but to answer your next question: if some members feel the vote should be taken in a way that's different from the normal way, they can move, second, and hopefully adopt a motion to that effect, which takes a majority vote. This can be done either before the vote, or immediately after it (in cases where the initial result may have been unclear).

I agree with Mr. Elsman, but to answer your next question: if some members feel the vote should be taken in a way that's different from the normal way, they can move, second, and hopefully adopt a motion to that effect, which takes a majority vote. This can be done either before the vote, or immediately after it (in cases where the initial result may have been unclear).

I agree with Mr. Lynch. In addition, the method of voting on a main motion can be decided by adopting a preliminary main motion when no other question is pending.

Archived