The Official RONR Q & A Forums

uccqSB

Guest Guest

In an attempt to understand voting procedure, a question from a member of the Board of Directors has arisen. Did the following pass?

The requirement, in this instance (as stated in the bylaws) is a 2/3 vote of the Board of Directors (the total number of directors is nine (9). However, in attendance there are six (6) members. The vote is called, five (5) members vote yea, one (1) member abstains.

In an attempt to understand voting procedure, a question from a member of the Board of Directors has arisen. Did the following pass?

The requirement, in this instance (as stated in the bylaws) is a 2/3 vote of the Board of Directors (the total number of directors is nine (9). However, in attendance there are six (6) members. The vote is called, five (5) members vote yea, one (1) member abstains.

Five is not at least two-thirds of nine so I'd say the chair should have declared the motion "not adopted". But an accurate answer would require reading your bylaws (or at least this article) in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

By the way, I think most here are capable of understanding "five" and "six" and even "nine" without numerical assistance.

" Any member, for violation of any of the Bylaws or Rules of the Club, or other sufficient cause, may be suspended or expelled by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors, provided that, before any member may be expelled, he/she shall have the right to a full hearing upon the charges."

Five is not at least two-thirds of nine so I'd say the chair should have declared the motion "not adopted". But an accurate answer would require reading your bylaws (or at least this article) in their entirety, something that's beyond the scope of this forum.

By the way, I think most here are capable of understanding "five" and "six" and even "nine" without numerical assistance.

Am I to understand, then, that even though a quorum was present, the Board of Directors could not pass this motion?

Am I to understand, then, that even though a quorum was present, the Board of Directors could not pass this motion?

No. They could have if all six had voted to adopt the motion. That would have constituted a two-thirds vote of the board. This assumes that "a two-thirds vote of the board" means the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the total membership of the board, not the standard "two-thirds vote" which is based only on those members present and voting.

No. They could have if all six had voted to adopt the motion. That would have constituted a two-thirds vote of the board. This assumes that "a two-thirds vote of the board" means the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the total membership of the board, not the standard "two-thirds vote" which is based only on those members present and voting.

Just to be clear, then. Since our bylaws state "a two-thirds vote of the board," all six members in attendance had to vote in the affirmative. But, if our bylaws had stated "two-thirds vote" the five affirmative would have carried the motion. Am I correct in this assumption?

Just to be clear, then. Since our bylaws state "a two-thirds vote of the board," all six members in attendance had to vote in the affirmative. But, if our bylaws had stated "two-thirds vote" the five affirmative would have carried the motion. Am I correct in this assumption?

That's my interpretation. Others may see it differently (or remind us that interpreting bylaws is beyond the scope of this forum).

I don't agree. My understanding is that, unless the Bylaws specifically say the 2/3 vote must be of the entire board (whether present or not), the motion passes with 2/3 of those present and voting (just like a majority vote would be). I would say that the requirement is 2/3 of five (present and voting). Of course, five is 2/3 of five.

It seems to me that if the intent was 2/3 of the entire board (nine in this case), they Bylaws would say something like "by the affirmative vote of twothirds of the [authorized number] of members of the board "

Of course, five is 2/3 of five.

Well, of course it isn't. But that's besides the point.

Yes, it would be nice if all bylaws were written with crystal clarity. But, alas, they're not.

So it's up to the members to determine whether "of the board" means "of the board" or "of the board members present and voting".

RONR says "a vote of two-thirds of the entire membership" (10th Ed, p. 390) without intending that "entire" be superfluous (as parliamentary secret agent g40 says above, post #10); and it is, then, more likely that these bylaws do say "of the board" superfluously -- which, indeed, is for the members to determine. (I'm disagreeing with the assumptions and conclusions of posts 6 and 8.)

And the bylaws should be amended to fix this.

Finally, Rob's statement is probably the right answer here.

Oh but one other thing: what does this question have to do with uccqSB?

It seems to me that the phrase "by a 2/3 vote of the board" is no more nor less ambiguous that the phrase "by a majority vote of the assembly" or "by the assembly by a 2/3 vote."

The phrase "of the board" merely identifies the body empowered to act, and the phrase "2/3 vote" could not be more parliamentarily unremarkable.

If the phrasing were "a vote of 2/3 of the board" we begin to enter the waters of ambiguity, but only with one toe. No, without a clear expression of the concept of "entire" there is simply no reason to think of zebras upon hearing any of the hoof-beats listed in the paragraph above.

" Any member, for violation of any of the Bylaws or Rules of the Club, or other sufficient cause, may be suspended or expelled by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors, provided that, before any member may be expelled, he/she shall have the right to a full hearing upon the charges."

The fact that some posters think this means two-thirds of all the Board members, while others think it means two-thirds of those present and voting, seems to be a demonstration that there is some ambiguity.

For what little it's worth (since none of us on this forum, except the original poster, are likely to be members of this assembly), I think it means two-thirds of those present and voting, for the reasons given by Mr. Novosielski. The phrase 'of the board' seems to identify which body is allowed to take this disciplinary action (i.e. that it requires a vote at a Board meeting, rather than a vote at a membership meeting).

Archived