The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous Notice, Session and Meeting

DrEntropy

During a regular meeting, an adjourned meeting is made for the next day. A member then gives notice (at the first meeting) to rescind a previously adopted motion at the adjourned meeting. Question: what vote is required to rescind? Is this a proper 'previous notice' ? Or should previous notice really be made at the previous 'session', and this use of the word (RONR 11th page 306 l. 28) 'meeting' is in the sense of pg. 94 l. 5-10. ?

During a regular meeting, an adjourned meeting is made for the next day. A member then gives notice (at the first meeting) to rescind a previously adopted motion at the adjourned meeting. Question: what vote is required to rescind? Is this a proper 'previous notice' ? Or should previous notice really be made at the previous 'session', and this use of the word (RONR 11th page 306 l. 28) 'meeting' is in the sense of pg. 94 l. 5-10. ?

Based on your citations, it was adequate notice and the voted needed to rescind most motions would be a majority. I'm not thrilled with that answer, but I believe it complies with RONR.

Meeting in RONR (11th ed.), p. 121, l. 30, means what is defined in RONR (11th ed.), p. 81, l. 16, through p. 82, l. 5.

That does answer the question :). But I was not sure if this was a case where "meeting" meant "session" (as in pg. 94 l. 5-10.) but upon a closer reading this passage only seems to apply to rules adopted by the society and not to RONR itself, and I now see what you meant when you first responded.

Compare the slightly different rule for amending certain convention standing rules RONR (11th ed.), p. 620, ll. 25-30:

[A] standing rule of a convention . . . individually adoptable by a majority vote [i.e., one in the nature of an "ordinary standing rule," as opposed to a parliamentary standing rule in a convention, see pp. 619-20] can be amended or rescinded by a majority vote after notice on at least the preceding day.

Archived