The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Citations Using the Kindle Version

Larry Cisar

There are no page numbers or line numbers. Any good ideas?

That's interesting. I understand there's no version for the Nook (yet?) but all the Nook books I've download have page numbers. Do your other Kindle books have page numbers? If so, it seems an odd omission for RONR (especially).

I found this online:

"The page number is shown when you press Menu button while reading a book. The page number corresponding to a printed version of the book. But the page number is not available for all books."

There's more information here:

http://www.teleread....l-page-numbers/

Most books for Kindle still don't have page numbers but merely locations. What you could do (though it only would work for those who have RONR on Kindle) is to do a search for the passage you are looking for and give the person the range of location numbers that the passage is in on the page. It might include more text in the range then then the passage but they can read through that range and see what you are citing. If you want to focus it in more you could increase the font size which would make the location range smaller.

But how do you do it if you are writing a paper or editing a journal and have a writer who cites from the kindle? I imagine that some people will only have an electronic version.

Buy a Kindle and RONR for Kindle and then look it up. :D

Seriously though, until the Kindle version gets page numbers there is no way to directly translate the location numbers into page numbers. However, there is a roundabout way of finding out the page number. You in theory don't have to have a Kindle to read Kindle books because Amazon offers a free Kindle for PC (or Mac) application that you can download the Kindle books onto. You would have to buy RONR for Kindle and download the Kindle for PC app and locate the location number and then you could copy the text and paste it into the search box in the RONR CD and find the page number there.

I have the kindle version, and it is handy for looking things up on the road, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get a page number. Some books do this, but RONR 11th doesn't. I have to go to the printed version for that. My strategy is to write down the kindle 'location numbers', and then when I get home find them in the printed book. Not ideal... hopefully the kindle version can be improved in the future.

I have now found a workable solution. For the citation, RONR (11th ed.) Kindle Version:XXXX with XXXX being the number you get if you highlight the quote and go to Notes and Marks. That number will not change when you change font size. For a bibliography, try: Robert, Henry M. III et al. Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th ed. [Philadelphia: Da Capo Press, 2011], Kindle Edition

What kindle version? It's not listed in Amazon.com.

In fact, if you go to the RONR paperback page, there's a link to bug the publisher to make it available on Kindle, but no link to any Kindle version.

Not even RONRIB, which is on Kindle for the First edition, is available on Kindle in the current (Second) ed.

Are there some magic words you have to say to find the Kindle version of RONR?

Am I the only one who staunchly prefers the paper book?

Can I get a witness!?

When I am posting here I prefer the CD version of the book for the keyword search feature and cut and paste capability. When I go to meetings I will bring the DTB version of RONR but I could see having a copy on my Kindle for the keyword search plus I bring my Kindle (and the 500+ books on it) almost anywhere I go.

Am I the only one who staunchly prefers the paper book?

Can I get a witness!?

I actually bought the hardbound version and the Kindle version. The Kindle version is for quick research and the hardbound version will be my companion at meetings. My paperback version of the 10th edition was in pretty rough shape. I got the hardbound hoping for durability while waiting for the 12th edition.

Archived