The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Modified Rules in Small Boards and in Committees

Watson

"In small boards, and in committees, most parliamentary rules apply, but certain modifications permitting greater flexibility and informality are commonly allowed." [RONR (11th ed.), p. 9, ll. 30-33]

"The rules governing such meetings are different from the rules that hold in other assemblies ... ." [RONR (11th ed.), p. 487, ll. 29-31]

My question is whether or not application of the modified rules is automatic, or if a Special Rule of Order is required? Is it possible for a board or committee to move from one set of rules to the other, then back again, during the same meeting? If so, how are the proper motions worded?

Thank you all very much, RTW

Dan recently answer this in relationship to committees. The citation is found on pg 500, ll 9-13. In a committee the relaxed rules apply to all standing or special committees regardless of the size. In a small board, about 12 or few members, unless there is a custom or other rule that controls, I see no reason why small board rules would not automatically apply.

Keep in mind the footnotes on pg. 488.

"In small boards, and in committees, most parliamentary rules apply, but certain modifications permitting greater flexibility and informality are commonly allowed." [RONR (11th ed.), p. 9, ll. 30-33]

"The rules governing such meetings are different from the rules that hold in other assemblies ... ." [RONR (11th ed.), p. 487, ll. 29-31]

My question is whether or not application of the modified rules is automatic, or if a Special Rule of Order is required? Is it possible for a board or committee to move from one set of rules to the other, then back again, during the same meeting? If so, how are the proper motions worded?

Thank you all very much, RTW

A board determines for itself whether or not it will use the modified rules on pages 487-88, and it may do so in a number of ways (custom. ruling on a point of order, adoption of a special rule of order, etc.). A committee, on the other hand, is required to use the modified rules unless otherwise directed.

A board determines for itself whether or not it will use the modified rules on pages 487-88, and it may do so in a number of ways (custom. ruling on a point of order, adoption of a special rule of order, etc.). A committee, on the other hand, is required to use the modified rules unless otherwise directed.

A Question for Dan: So in a "Small" board (unlike a committee absent an instruction), there is not a default position?

My concern is reply #4. Mr. Martin Stated:

"Technically, the rules of RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 487-489 only apply to committees and small boards by default. A small assembly may choose to use these rules if it wishes, but it is not required to do so. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 16, lines 12-16) In any event, I certainly agree that it is not correct that the mayor may "say whatever he likes."

Is the default permissive, or should the small board adopt a special rule of order to establish that a BOD with 8 members not follow the modified rules?

My concern is reply #4. Mr. Martin Stated:

"Technically, the rules of RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 487-489 only apply to committees and small boards by default. A small assembly may choose to use these rules if it wishes, but it is not required to do so. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 16, lines 12-16) In any event, I certainly agree that it is not correct that the mayor may "say whatever he likes."

Is the default permissive, or should the small board adopt a special rule of order to establish that a BOD with 8 members not follow the modified rules?

Read post #3.

Archived