The Official RONR Q & A Forums

non members attending board meeting

peaches70

We have a Homeowners Association, each parcel owner are stock holder (stock certificates are issued) in the association and are members of the association. My question, What does RONR say about non members attending such meeting as board meeting or annual meeting of the membership?

And, just to be clear, at a board meeting, only board members are members. A member of the association who is not a board member is a non-member at that meeting, and does not have a right to attend a meeting of the board. At an annual (or other) meeting of the general membership, all members of the association have the right to attend (but again, non-members -- for example, maybe a good friend of one of the association members would like to come to the meeting and listen in -- have no right to attend).

We are in Florida and Florida statues states all members of the association are allowed to attend Board meeting and must be allowed to speak on the items listed on the agenda. My only concern were for non members of the association, the statues do not address non members. As I understand from your answers, the answer is no the may not attend unless the membership as a whole vote to allow that. Do I understand this correctly? Thank you for all your help, today as well as in the past.

We are in Florida and Florida statues states all members of the association are allowed to attend Board meeting and must be allowed to speak on the items listed on the agenda. My only concern were for non members of the association, the statues do not address non members. As I understand from your answers, the answer is no the may not attend unless the membership as a whole vote to allow that. Do I understand this correctly? Thank you for all your help, today as well as in the past.

At board meetings, it would be the board that decides whether to allow attendance by non-members. Other than that it sounds correct. And you;re right -- procedural rules in statute take precedence over what is said in the parliamentary authority (such as RONR).

Archived