The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VOTING FOR BOARD

Guest DOMINIC GERALDO

Guest DOMINIC GERALDO

WE HVE AN ELECTION MEETING COMING UP ON WHICH WE ONLY HAVE 1 PERSON ON THE BALLOT AND WE NEED 2 PEOPLE SINCE ONE STEPPED DOWN . WE WOULD LIKE TO KOW IF PEOPLE CAN VOTE FOR SOMEONE ELSE BY MAIL IF THE HAVE NOT BEEN NOMINATED YET AND WILL BE AT THE MEETING ITSELF IF PEOPLE VOTE FOR SOME ONE WHO IS NOT ON THE BALOOT PRIOR TO THEM BEING NONMINATED BY LAIL DOES THA VOTE COUNT OR ONLY ATER THE ARE NOMINATED FROM THE FLOOR CAN THEY BE VOTED FOR NOT PRIOR TO THE ACTUAL MEETING AND FROM THE FLOOR ,IT SEEMS LIKE THEY WOULD NOT BE COUNTED BECAUSE THEY WE NOT EVER ON THE BALLOT . IT SEEM TO ME YOU CANT VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS NOT ON THE NOMINATION PAGE THAT WAS MAILED OUT TO ALL HOMEOWNERS ,ONLY THE ONE NAME ON THERE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE VOTED FOR NOT ADD WHO YOU WOULD LIKE TO IF YOU WANT THEY SHOULD GO TO THE ANNUAL MEETING AND VOTE AFTER THE NOMINATION .PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT IS WRONG ,

THANK YOU

Guest DOMINIC BUCCHEI

we had an annual meeting prior to this one and did not have a qurim and now we are trying again since the first time when the people riunning had sent in all there paper work and each homeowner got a chance to read there bio one has stepped down and we will be electing from the floor on the night of the meeting ,thease people did not apply during the first time and were never on the ballot and never a write in ,now when the voting slips went out 1 naple was on the ballot and people are writing in peoples nales thae we never on the ballot do they have to be nominated first before there votes count or just have anyone mail them in a week early while no one even knows they are gointg to run also now ,shoud only the votesof that night count since they have not even nominated yet .suppose one does not show up and had 100 votes and no one even knows who it is ,lol . the entire question is only votes of that night count when someone stands up and nominates themself and not from people who mailes them in a week early

• 3 weeks later...

One of the directors on our board is quite insistent that sitting board members are always on the ballot that is pre-printed prior to our annual meeting, and that the nominating committee does not have the authority to vote that the sitting board member be required to be nominated from the floor for that position. Is the sitting member always on the ballot, or did the nominating committee perform its duties correctly by voting the sitting member must be nominated from the floor? Thank you.

. . . did the nominating committee perform its duties correctly by voting the sitting member must be nominated from the floor?

Not exactly. The nominating committee is free to select an incumbent (or not), at it chooses. And, if not selected by the nominating committee, or nominated from the floor, the incumbent could be elected by a write-in vote.

Incumbnent candidates (those who are up for "re-election") are not automatically on the ballot when their term is completed unless the By-laws state otherwise. They would still need to be nominated. However, the Nominating Committee could find other candidates for each position up for election regardless of whether or not the incumbnent(s) is(are) running again unless specifically disallowed by the By-laws.

And mail-in votes only count if they By-laws allow for them as they are a type of proxy.

Incumbnent candidates (those who are up for "re-election") are not automatically on the ballot when their term is completed unless the By-laws state otherwise. They would still need to be nominated. However, the Nominating Committee could find other candidates for each position up for election regardless of whether or not the incumbnent(s) is(are) running again unless specifically disallowed by the By-laws.

And mail-in votes only count if they By-laws allow for them as they are a type of proxy.

Rev Ed -- I suspect Guest_DOMINIC BUCCHEI is not the same person as Guest_NCSUSBC, despite their penchant to both use upper case. And since Guest_NCSUSBC didn't mention mail-in votes, that may confuse things a little. And I don't think mail-in votes are a form of proxy, they're a form of absentee voting.

Thank you for your responses. Our bylaws do not state that an incumbent is automatically placed on the ballot. The nominating committee does have the option of either "nominating" that person to be on the ballot or to be nominated from the floor. We do not allow for mail-in, absentee, or proxy voting. Our parent organization does not condone any of these methods. The delegates must be present to elect any position. And David, my comments are not all upper case. You should check why you see only upper case on your computer. Once again, thanks.

And David, my comments are not all upper case. You should check why you see only upper case on your computer. Once again, thanks.

My apologies for the confusion. I was referring (and should have been clearer on this) to your Guest_ name being in upper case. I realize Guest_DOMINIC_GERALDO (or Guest_DOMINIC_BUCCHEI, as he sometimes goes by) was posting in caps and you weren't. Please accept my regrets for any inferred slight.

The nominating committee does have the option of either "nominating" that person to be on the ballot or to be nominated from the floor.

Well, technically, the nominating committee has the option of nominating that person, or not nominating them. What happens later, when nominations from the floor are opened, has nothing to do with the nominating committee.

Archived