The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the Chair make motions or not?

Guest RASINC60

I am trying to find out where FAQ #1 of RONR's question answers gets its bases from in RONR 11th edition. I understand that they can in smaller groups but where is it in RONR they are not suppose to in larger venues? Any help would be appreciated.

As FAQ #1 notes:

If the president is a member of the voting body, he or she has exactly the same rights and privileges as all other members have, including the right to make motions, to speak in debate, and to vote on all questions. So, in meetings of a small board (where there are not more than about a dozen board members present), and in meetings of a committee, the presiding officer may exercise these rights and privileges as fully as any other member. However, the impartiality required of the presiding officer of any other type of assembly (especially a large one) precludes exercising the rights to make motions or speak in debate while presiding, and also requires refraining from voting except (i) when the vote is by ballot, or (ii) whenever his or her vote will affect the result.

I could point you to the page cite for the rule on debating and voting, but don't have the one on making motions yet.

I don't think there is an explicit statement to the effect that the chair shouldn't (even though he can) make motions from the chair when presiding.

It isn't too difficult a step to point to the various "president should remain impartial" statements in the book (see "impartial" in the index) and argue that actually making a motion rather destroys any "impartiality" of the chair with respect to that motion, anyway.

But whether Guest_RASINC60's chair can follow simple logic is another question.

Good luck.

Near as I can tell you are stuck with your dilemma - actually between the horns of the dilemma, to be classically precise.

But maybe there is hope (found this with a Kindle search):

"A member of an assembly who acts as its parliamentarian has the same duty as the presiding officer to maintain a position of impartiality, and therefore does not make motions, participate in debate, or vote on any question except in the case of a ballot vote." p. 467.

It is a little indirect, but it sure says that the president doesn't make motions, along with the (member) parliamentarian.

A presiding chair is to remain impartial.

Asking, urging, suggesting, cajoling, etc the assembly to adopt a particular motion is not impartial.

What was the question again??? ^_^

You won't find specific language in RONR that sys the chair shouldn't roll his eyes every time Fred finishes speaking. But if you have a chair that rolls his eyes every time Fred finishes speaking, you have to ask yourselves if you have the right chair.

I am trying to find out where FAQ #1 of RONR's question answers gets its bases from in RONR 11th edition. I understand that they can in smaller groups but where is it in RONR they are not suppose to in larger venues? Any help would be appreciated.

The role of the chair in a large assembly is to facilitate the meeting. He presents the appearance of impartiality on the business of the assembly in order that members may have confidence in his rulings and his ability to preside. Once this is understood, it goes without saying that the chair should not make motions if his purpose is to advance his own wishes for the society. On the other hand, if the chair's purpose is simply to facilitate the business of the meeting, see Official Interpretation 2007-1 for information on the chair assuming a motion.

There is not, unfortunately, a clear-cut rule in RONR for you to beat an obstinate chair over the head with, but if it is coming to that, you need a new chair. It is essential that the chair understands the principles behind chairmanship rather than following only what is written in black-and-white (although the FAQs are written by the RONR Authorship Team, so they're pretty authoritative anyway). If the chair fails to grasp these principles, he is unfit for presiding.

Why can't the chair have someone else make the motion? If the motion has merit, it would find another person to take the initiative. The chair can give up the chair to debate the issue if so compelled. Also, he can cast the tie breaking vote if it comes to that.

A chair who seems to drive the organizaiton, however, is not a chair at all, and should relinqish that position to someone who can remain neutral to ensure the ethical handling of business of the organizaton.

Guest Barbara Burke

I had previously asked question about a president making a motion and was told a president of a small group could make motions. My question is "what is the number that constitutes a smalll group?" Our group has approximately 19 members.

I had previously asked question about a president making a motion and was told a president of a small group could make motions. My question is "what is the number that constitutes a smalll group?" Our group has approximately 19 members.

What kind of a "group"? The membership of a club? A society's executive board? A committee?

Archived