The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Reconsider

Guest Richard

How does the motion to Reconsider (reconsider a motion made earlier during same meeting session) work? If there's a motion to reconsider, are we voting to reconsider the original question or the original motion? In other words, isn't it a way of simply putting the original motion to a re-vote?

Thanks!

Richard in VA

+++++++++++

"The effect of the adoption of the motion to Reconsider is immediately to place before the assembly again the question on which the vote is to be reconsidered - in the exact position it occupied the moment before it was voted on originally." RONR, p. 324

Since the motion may be subject to {further} amendment, you might not be voting on the same question again.

So, the answers are, yes, and not necessarily, to your questions.

Thank you George, so if the motion to reconsider passes, we then discuss/debate the original motion and vote accordingly. The process of discussion and debate MAY yield an ammendment to the original motion but not necessarily.

So there is a vote (up or down) to reconsider, and if it passes there's another vote (re-vote) on the original motion. If the vote to reconsider is voted down... then there is NO discussion/debate on the original motion.

If I'm understanding correctly, Thank you George!

Thank you George, so if the motion to reconsider passes, we then discuss/debate the original motion and vote accordingly. The process of discussion and debate MAY yield an ammendment to the original motion but not necessarily.

So there is a vote (up or down) to reconsider, and if it passes there's another vote (re-vote) on the original motion. If the vote to reconsider is voted down... then there is NO discussion/debate on the original motion.

If I'm understanding correctly, Thank you George!

That's a better basic summary than I've seen others make in a while, just please don't use the word re-vote....it's like fingernails on a chalk board around here :)

*If the motion to reconsider is adopted and the original motion becomes pending once again, it also might be able to be postponed indefinitely, referred to a committee, or postponed to another time as well.....so you might not end up voting on it again, at least for now.

Thanks again George!

I've read somewhere in RONR (10th Edition) that if a motion to reconsider fails to pass, then a motion at a later meeting to rescind the original motion becomes Out of Order and is not allowed.

Is this true also?

No, you're confused by what RONR is saying and I would suggest a very careful reading of RONR (11th ed.), p. 308 lines 17-19, or p. 297 (a) in the 10th edition since this is the rule that is causing the confusion. Please get the 11th by the way :)

As an example, Richard, let’s assume at a monthly meeting a motion has been adopted to: “Hold the annual 2FP holiday party December 1, 2012 on Dan’s yacht.”

At the end of the meeting, right after a vote is taken to adjourn, but before the chair declares the meeting adjourned, a member who voted on the prevailing side moves to reconsider the vote on that adopted motion. Since it’s not white hot urgent, the motion to reconsider can’t be dealt with at that time and the meeting adjourns. At the next monthly meeting you cannot move to rescind the adopted motion right away because the motion to reconsider it can be called up (to a vote). RONR allows the yet to be called up motion to reconsider a right of way to reach the adopted motion.

Archived