The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Confusing motion outcome

Guest Carri

A motion was voted on to remove two members from our board. Was unanimous. One would assume it would have been effective immediately because it wasn't stated in the motion prior to vote.

Now another member is saying it goes into effect in the fall.

I don't think so?

We have a meeting tomorrow. I don't think,they sit on our board anymore. Am I wrong?

It was two soccer clubs which were forced,to sit on our board because of our agreements with them. We have agreed to stop doing contracts with them and allow the city we,live in to deal with them.

Their agreements with us expires march 31. If we don't have them gone immediately we have to go through all,the,work to redo an agreement for spring through fall which is wasteful!

It was two soccer clubs which were forced,to sit on our board because of our agreements with them. We have agreed to stop doing contracts with them and allow the city we,live in to deal with them.

Their agreements with us expires march 31. If we don't have them gone immediately we have to go through all,the,work to redo an agreement for spring through fall which is wasteful!

Carri, you did not answer Chris's question.

As far as RONR is concerned a motion goes into effect upon adoption unless there is a proviso included saying otherwise. But first things first, does the body which amended the agreement have the authority to do so under your bylaws? Even if that body does have the authority to amend the agreement you would need to look to it for your answer. It might be that by amending the agreement you legislated the two Board members right off the Board but on the other hand the agreement might have language (a proviso) which states when the changes would be implemented. So check that agreement.

Archived